Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can a drivers seat be repadded?

I have a 92 legacy and the foam area where I sit is deformed. After sitting on it for 14 years my butt has worn it out:( . Is it an easy job to take out the seat and replace the foam or whatever is there so that I can get some support?? Has anyone done this?

Thank you

There are several way to approach this and I am sure some of the other folks have Subaru specific ways.

Driver's seats are often the same as passenger seats but for the rails.

The passenger's seats are often practically unworn. I have gotten them from junkyards and switched seats.

I have taken the covers off seats from wrecked cars that were wrecked when near new. The seat base is deformed but the upholstery is often OK.

Then there is the old buy inexpensive seat covers and repad. When you pull the seat apart it is easy to see the shape to make your pad. This is also pretty forgiving stuff of errors.

You are going to need hog ring pliers and a good upholstery book if you choose to repad. Barge cement is often also necessary for a good looking job.

Originally posted by ron2368

I have a 92 legacy and the foam area where I sit is deformed. After sitting on it for 14 years my butt has worn it out.

I take it this particular Legacy has the time-machine option and you have traveled to 2006 . . .?

Ok, ok, how about this:

I did a 36-hour charity dance marathon once. I thought 36 hours was tough, so I can imagine how tough it was to do 14 years in the driver's seat. At least we got 10-minute potty breaks every other hour.

Sorry. I just had to.

--K9Leader