Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Sebring Coupe (Mitsubishi) - ignition failure

Ok - so I know how I'm always talking about how I hate the DSM's..... but I'm stuck with fixing this one.

I replaced the radiator, cap, thermostat, and hoses. No problems. Car ran without a hitch. I parked it till the owner could come pick it up.

He shows up, starts the car, etc. It runs for a minute while we talk then I ask him to shut it off so I can show him a few maintenance items I noticed while under the hood. I show him the leaky valve covers, all the new parts I installed, etc and I close the hood.

He turns the key and it just cranks. Won't start. We try a few more times but no love. He has to leave so I tell him I'll look into it right away and call him when I know what's going on.

It's got no spark. The OBD reports no codes. Timing belt is intact, sounds normal while cranking, etc.

Distributor failure is fairly common on these from what I have read.

I bought a Haynes manual but it's worse than useless. Says the ignition system is hard to troubleshoot and that you should consult the dealer :rolleyes:. But it gives me no diagrams, pinouts, or any other real help.

The people over on the Chrysler forum seem to be idiots. Tell me to do things I've already stated that I've done - don't seem to answer questions about how to actually TEST anything.... etc.

Here's my post over there:

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11592

At this point I'm pretty sure it's not the ECU (PCM). I keep seeing references to an auto-shutdown relay that provides power to the coil, injectors, and fuel pump but I'm not entirely sure this model has one (coupe's are different from sedan's and convertibles), and in any case I can't seem to find any accurate location for the thing - the closest thing I can find is people on that forum saying it "might" be located on the firewall. I've tested all the relays I can find and they are all good.

I really need to know how to check the input voltage to the coil pack - if that has to be done while cranking, etc. With the ignition "on" I'm not getting any voltage to the primary coil winding - but I don't know of that's because of a bad distributor module, or a relay, or what. Every fuse and relay I can find tests good.

:mad:

GD

Yeah - I got it fixed - not much thanks to the people on the Chrysler forum. I swear those people are a few beers short of a 6 pack.

Hate having to call the guy and tell him he's got to fork out another $400 for a distributor and installation :rolleyes:. Oh well - I guess that's the game when you own a Mitsi. 6 months ago he put in a new transmission. So at 93k miles it's eaten a tranny, radiator, and distributor. I hear these V6's are notorious for crank-walk problems as well. Yikes! :dead:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

If it had failed on the road the numbers would have added up to a lot more, so in a twisted way he is lucky. That issue shouldn't re appear for a long time if ever and hopefully the owner will understand your thoroughness and not want to give you credit for the manufacturers defect.

Everything went very well. He picked it up and was quite pleased. He talked to a friend of his with a '98 Sebring and he had a similar tale of woe that involved he and his wife being stranded after dinner one night - also a distributor failure and no warning at all. So he's thankful that it didn't leave his wife stranded somewhere and that I was able to get it fixed and on the road quickly and at greatly reduced cost over the dealership. He said he's sending all his friends to me...... so I guess in a way I should thank Mitsi for keeping me working :lol:

GD

Oh well - I guess that's the game when you own a Mitsi. 6 months ago he put in a new transmission. So at 93k miles it's eaten a tranny, radiator, and distributor. I hear these V6's are notorious for crank-walk problems as well. Yikes! :dead:

GD

Heh heh heh...

crank_walk.jpg

You had to know that was coming :grin:

I'm glad you got figured out.

And good to hear you got a loyal customer out of it too :)

Lets hope you keep getting mitsu customers ;)

Twitch