Ultimate Subaru Message Board

classic stuck rear hub lateral link bolt

2000 Forester, that lower lateral link bolt in the rear hub - the real long annoying one. i got the nut off but the bolt won't budge at all. it's been soaking for days in penetrant. it won't turn or come out with repeated beatings, threads are mangled no doubt.

can i melt the bushings with a torch, will that help? i did that with a rear diff one time.

not sure the two arms connecting tot he body will come off, those bolts are rusted too or i'd just remove the hub with those attached.

An impact wrench and time has yet to fail me. Eventually you will get the bolt to spin and victory is yours.

they wont always come loose. i had one i could have given to u to play with and such. but it, along with entire subframe, was sent to scrapyard as core.

Just like pinch bolts in the front knuckle, and front axles, being in a rust belt sometimes the pinch bolts break no matter what, and if you dont agree, i have a front hub, with seized axle in it, wont come out, you can have it and mess around with it.....the axle is still good, just needs an outer boot.....but it is physically rust welded to the hub splines.

An impact wrench and time has yet to fail me. Eventually you will get the bolt to spin and victory is yours.
sweet, i'll try that next time. seems like newer gen bearings fail much more often, so i'm sure i'll be seeing this again. actually i'm fairly certain they're failing for the 3rd time on my daily driver Legacy.