Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all I am new to the Newer Generation Subaru’s. I have owned 10 Subaru’s, nothing newer than an 86 but as old 76.

I have spent a lot of time searching and it looks like a 2.2 is the way to go. What kind of mpg highway will I get with and outback 2.2 5 spd vs a regular legacy 2.2 5spd.

I also have a line on a 91 LS wagon with 5spd and sunroof. Any particulars I should stay away from?

Thanks

Richard

Castle Rock CO

Drove through Castle Rock a time or two when I lived in Boulder. Beautiful area. I'm jealous.....

Anyhoo...

Don't know to compare to regular Legacy, but my 96 OBW, w/ 2.2 5sp, gets 20 to 21mpg city, 26mpg highway. I recently got 28mpg on a trip from Knoxville, TN, to Atlanta, GA ... about 200 miles, going about 85 MPH at 4000 RPM the whole way.

I'm fairly pleased with that, considering it has 156,000 miles on it. I just replaced the O2 sensor (CEL scan told me it was slow in response) and am just now starting the first full tank of gas with it in place. I imagine (hope) I'll see an improvement even over what I get now.

Originally posted by ShawnW

Some of the LS and LSI models have air suspension (struts) and can be a pain to deal with. They are nice when they work but annoying when they dont.

Yes I had these on a couple of GL-10s I owned, they were a major pia. Thanks I did now know they had these on the legacy models.

[Don't know to compare to regular Legacy, but my 96 OBW, w/ 2.2 5sp, gets 20 to 21mpg city, 26mpg highway. I recently got 28mpg on a trip from Knoxville, TN, to Atlanta, GA ... about 200 miles, going about 85 MPH at 4000 RPM the whole way.

I'm fairly pleased with that, considering it has 156,000 miles on it. I just replaced the O2 sensor (CEL scan told me it was slow in response) and am just now starting the first full tank of gas with it in place. I imagine (hope) I'll see an improvement even over what I get now. [/b]

Thanks for the info.

I love Castle Rock, grew up here. I actually get to drive to Golden and Boulder area for my work daily!! :banana:

I was told that the legacy with 2.2 5spd would get close to 30-32mpg highway. I love the looks of the outback but not sure if I want lose that kind of mpg. I am used to 35 range on my GL and have about a 100 mile a day commute.