Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ-2.2... new to such a modern motor..

Slipping over from the old school section...

I picked up an EJ-2.2 motor sitting on a crate. $50. The intake maniforld had been removed and the valve covers too... so figure I would take a stab at it.

I know the guy who was selling it and he said his dad was going to put the motor into a small airplane.. in the box of parts was a Turbo... figure from an older roo... but I got thinking... did they make a EJ-2.2 Turbo? or was that some kind of mod he was going to do to the engine?

so I guess the question is... does the EJ-2.2 come turbo and if it did how would I tell the difference as all I have is a motor with none of the fuel rails or wires etc.. just a motor stamped EJ-2.2

Yes they used an EJ22 turbo in the 91? - 94 Legacy SS models. That's a pretty rare engine if it is actually an EJ22T block. I'm not sure how to identify them, but I'm sure some searching will dig up an answer for that.

I'm not sure if you need a turbo manifold for the intake or not, I believe there are some wire harness differences, but I haven't seen an EJ22T in person so I'm not 100%.

You might rename the title of the post to include "turbo" to get the more experienced turbo members drawn into the thread.

like he said the EJ22T (turbo) was offered in 91-94 in the legacy turbo's. a very rare motor.

a turbo engine should be obvious in that the heads should have some kind of ports for oil lines for the turbo. any oil port on the rear of the passengers side head would suggest a turbo engine.

Edited by grossgary

From the outside an EJ22T block will have crosshatching in the casting all over the block where an EJ22 doesn't. There is also an extra crankcase vent on the top of the block that an EJ22 doesn't have.

Once the heads are off, you will see the closed deck and the difference is obvious.

a few ways are mentioned, crosshatching around where the heads attach, and the bellhousing.

Also, a turbo block, will have extra coolant lines coming off the water pump which the coolant goes to the turbo.

The heads will also have plumbing.

And, if its a 1991 turbo block, it will have a built in oil cooler where the oil filter spins on, 92-94 did not have the oil cooler.

The block stamp is just ej22, so the stamp alone is no way to tell. Another way is look at the plastic t-belt covers. on the passenger side of the crank pulley, it will say "turbo"

.injectors are pink on a ej22t intake mani.

Edited by bheinen74

From the outside an EJ22T block will have crosshatching in the casting all over the block where an EJ22 doesn't. There is also an extra crankcase vent on the top of the block that an EJ22 doesn't have.

You're thinking of the EA82 turbo's that have the extra crank vent.

All EJ's have the vent on the top of the case.

The 2.2 turbo block I've got doesn't have "crosshatching" on it either. But there are some grooved lines in a kinduv semicircle on the bell where the starter bolts onto.

Those lines are what I've been told are an external I.D. mark for the closed deck turbo blocks.

You're thinking of the EA82 turbo's that have the extra crank vent.

All EJ's have the vent on the top of the case.

The 2.2 turbo block I've got doesn't have "crosshatching" on it either. But there are some grooved lines in a kinduv semicircle on the bell where the starter bolts onto.

Those lines are what I've been told are an external I.D. mark for the closed deck turbo blocks.

The EJ22T has 2 vents on top of the crankcase and the EJ22 only has one. The second one on the turbo block is a 90 degree fitting. I've owned a few of the turbo blocks and all of them had 2 crank vents and the crosshatch pattern ribbing on the block.

^^^^ He is correct about the ej22t having two vents. The oil return line people have been talking about is on the passenger side head on the back. What turbo is it? Does it have a 90* bend inlet on the intake side? Does it have VF11 on it?

Edited by adema2626

That is correct. The grooves on the starter bump are the easiest to spot. There is cross-hatching but it's in places that are harder to see while it's installed in the car.

GD