Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snorkel For Hitachi

Due to the recent off-roading my wagon has experienced, I have noticed a slight problem. It seems that my stock EA-81 doesnt take to deep mudholes very well :D. I was wondering about making a Snorkel for the stock hitachi and also what you guys have done for your soobs. Did a search already and didnt find the answers i was looking for. Have any of you used a kit designed for a jeep (fender mount type safari snorkels) and made it fit. On my 83 GL, im concerned if I mounted anything to the snout of the filter housing, the battery would have to go somewhere. But where?.

Also, if I were to remove the stock filter housing, would you guys suggest removing all the vacuum lines and just running a "connector" (been up too long) from the carb inlet to say a K&N?

I Have a Filter to Inlet "connector" from an SPFI wagon and I think it could be adapted to work with the Hitachi. Any Input from the pros? Pictures would be good as well.

Jay

:banana:

PS.... I will be looking to "utilitarializing" the interior in the near future. ( :mad: muddy carpet :mad: )

I've also been contemplating a snorkel, but I've got a Weber carb now. I think you the SPFI intake might fit onto your carb with a bit of adaptation.

As for the snorkel itself, I haven't heard of anybody adapting a kit from another make. I know people have made snorkels out of PVC pipe that looked pretty good, and I think that's what I'm going to do.

With the Weber carb, there aren't nearly as many vacuum lines or air hoses underhood. The only ones that I still have that need filtered air are the PCV system and the ASV system, which I ran to little K&N filters up behind the passenger side strut tower. You could probably do something similar.

One of the early hatch patrollers "Chewy" had his Hitachi snorkled using a very similar looking snorkus that I believe came from a Voyager. I'm fairly sure it was a direct fit using just a hose clamp to cinch it on. I've also seen a fancy aluminum snorkus thing on a Cavalier that looked like it'd work with minor mods.

For Webers, the snorkle kit from Redline is kinda expensive. I've got one like this oneair.gif from JAM Engineering but it cost too much. Now they're selling these 0.2200.0.204.gif for $32 which I'd say is more reasonable and it bolts on with no adapter plate needed. http://www.jameng.com

the mpfi snorkel will clamp right on there. i had to file some little grooves in the top flange of the carb, to give the rubber something to bite into. mine is pointed straight back with a cone filter, where the spare tire goes. you could put a hose on there and run it into the cab, on onto the roof.

mine had some clearance issues when the hood closed, because i have an ea82 engine in an ea81 car. i just had to cut down the rubber coupling for an extra half inch. you gotta cram it on an ea82, or clamp it hard on an ea81carb.

works good, and its cheap.

From my pre-Weber days. . .

A cheap easy effective "snorkel" for your Hitachi and its aircleaner is to just simply tie a red rag around the end of it. It will stop water from getting into your carb- once. You can then rotate it to a dry spot. Very little water will get past the red rag to your filter.

A simple piece of vacuum hose sent back to the spare tire area can work wonders too. Red rag the end anyways. It will keep some dust out too.

Ok, Ive Decided to go with the SPFI intake, and run it back into the spare tire well with a k&n for now. But the big question is getting the snorkel out of the engine compartment and up onto the A-pillar like a jeep or hummer, to really keep it water free. I dont want to use pcv pipe but if thats the only choice I guess ill have to work with it. Any suggestions?

Jay