Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes Squealing like Stuck Pigs!

Ok, bought these brakes about 1k miles ago, and I was very happy with them. No warp-pulse, very smooth, and QUIET! Now, suddenly, these suckers are screaming like banshees, but only at certain (moving) braking strengths. They will squeak anywhere from barely engaged to hard braking, and they never squeak in the same spot!!! Anyone have any ideas, especially ones that don't require $$? I'm a bit short on cash right now...

If there are shims, put it between the pad and the shims, between the shims if there is more than one, and on the outside of the shim(s).

If there aren't shims put it on the back side of the pad.

I would clean off the pad face and rotor with brake cleaner when you put it back together just to be sure it is clean.

Some of the anti-squeal stuff actually dries to a certain extent, the other stuff I have used is basically grease or similar.

I just did brakes on. I sprayed the backs of the pads with napa brake quiet, let them dry, then assembled with the grease BMW sells in small packets.

I am sure auto parts stores have an equivelent.

This was just changing the pad without changing rotors and I had a really bad experience with a Mercedes doing the same thing.

The Mercedes squealed so much that I ended up changing pads angain with new rotors.

This came out well on the Bimmer.

The rain has my brake and strut job on hold on my Forester.

I got three hours last Sunday to jack it up and change one strut, but then the rain began.

So now I have three struts done, the rear brakes, and have not fitted the new rotors and pads to right front.

Still the left side front to do. If it does not rain Thursday I plan to take a day off work and finish it.

Maybe next week I can tell you how this works out. I plan to use the Napa brake quiet on the pads and run over at lunch to PEP Boys and see if I can get some grease.

The anti squel on back of pads is good, but also take Q- tip and lighty grease the little slots that the pads slide in, then sand the pads with course sandpaper to get the glaze off, then put each set of pads on the other side. If this dont do it turn or replace rotors. Also their is some pads and shoes that just want to squel replace them with O.E.M. I get lots of brake experince with my job.(Rural Mail Carrier) I have really good luck with the semi metallic pads from Auto Zone, however the only rear shoe that I have found that will hold up to the heat of my job is the O.E.M. shoes from Subaru.

I had tired struts, chatter in ther front brakes, and a horrible cold squeal in the rear drums.

I just finished it up today with those 15% stiffer than stock KYBs reccomended by some folks on the board.

I used new Subaru front vented rotors with Austrailian 4wd special pads.

The rear ended up with stock Subaru lineings and I had to use the old drums since the new ones did not fit.

The Aussie lineings had small rubber pads bonded on for anti squeal, and I used Napa brake anti squeal sprayed on and let set for an hour prior to assembly. I then put Napa brake grease between the stock subaru shims and a thin coating on each side.

This is kind of a belt and braces and suspenders too for anti squeal, but it works.

I ran several stops from 8o to break it in and cook the pads and coat the rotors, then a cooling period, and a few stops from 60 and another cooling period.

At that point sombody stopped in front of me on a freeway entrance I had to jump on the brakes harder than I have in years.

They still worked!!!

No noise and with a WRX rear sway bar the car seems the way it should have come from the factory.

In for alignment today so it will be a small wait to really try it.

I was only one degree off on my garage alignment.

I took it over to a parking lot I use to test cars.

It now has a pretty good bias between drift front and rear with the stock Michellins.

It does not tend to break at either end, just drift with both ends sliding about he same amount. The tires are definately the weak point now, but what the heck its a street car.

It used to have a point where the body rolled enough to break the tires loose and spoil your set up in a corner. At this point it leans progressively and once it takes a set it holds it.

Brakeing is execellent with no sound at all.

Can some one tell me if the Legacy has these same large two piston vented rotor brakes?

They look like they would stop a truck.

Thanks again to those folks who recomended those HD KYBs as they are working very well with the WRX rear sway bar.

If I fitted larger tires I would probably lose the nice balance between front and rear I have right now so I think I will keep those stock.