Ultimate Subaru Message Board

have ya'll ever heard about this(A cam question)

JWX

I was reading over on the ausubaru board and they mention something about using the hyd lifter cam with soild lifters and it "screams". so what up with this anybody lookeds in to this? is this what people are talking about when they say "the brat cam"?

i dont think you want to do this, hydraulic lifters are there to make the engine quiter, solid lifters are just that, solid, and beacuase of that there is no cusion between the parts so it tapps and needs to be ajusted frequently.

hydraulic lifters have a spring inside that compress and depress against the rods so there is no space in the system, makes it quiter.

now, if you are to run solids instead of hydraulics, there will be no difference in the engine, if you want the engine to "scream" then mock up some roller rockers. that will make ti rev faster at higher RPM.

Shean

Scooby - he's talking about EA81's - and yes, the cams are different. It does make sense in a way - the hydro lifters cushion the valve train, and thus the hydro lifter cam has to have a taller profile in order to get the same lift. You would also want the hydro lifter heads as they have bigger valves. And if your going to go to all the work of tearing the thing down to put in a cam, then the $80 that a custom delta cam costs is a better idea in my opinion than trying to locate a hydro lifter cam.... besides with a Delta cam you can USE the hydro lifters and avoid the pain of having to adjust your valves every 30k.

GD