Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After 3 months with the '01 OBW, one of the few things I really don't like is the location of the seat heater switches- I tend to rest my arm on them, turning them on by mistake. Not that big a deal right now, but in the summer...

I'm considering some possible options:

1- Pulling the fuse during the months when I don't want to use the heaters. I haven't checked to see if this would deactivate things other than the seat heaters.

2- Installing some sort of cut-off switch to disconnect the power when I don't need the heaters; possibly inside the little cargo bin right behind the switches. Would be more convenient than pulling a fuse, but don't know what kind of wiring headache this might be.

3- Moving the switches; probably forward on the console somewhere. Might be a pain to cut the console and get everything to look good, but doesn't involve any rewiring.

4- Creating some kind of removable cover for the switches. This is probably what I'll try first- maybe I can find a small scrap of plastic that would fit and attach it with Velcro strips. Any suggestions?

I realize that space is at a premium inside the vehicle, but this is not a good location for a rocker switch, IMHO. Any thoughts?

I also find these seat-heater switches annoying. Not just their location (they are lighted switches, but you can see them safely whilst driving), but also because they stay on for ever.

On modification that you might want to consider, if you are going to rewire, is to add a timer-relay so that the heaters turn themselves off after a pre-set-time (like the rear-window defogger).

Let us know what you do decide. I might also be in the market...

Originally posted by North Ursalia

I don't know if you thought of a more simple solution, like getting the armrest extension, which will make it nigh on impossible to accidentally tip the switches :).

I didn't know there was anything like that available- that's why I love this place; learn something new every day!

Is this an add-on to the console? Anybody got a link or a pic?

Thanks!

:)