Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78 Brat electrical snafu... HELP!!!

So.... she's painted, got all the trim and parts back together.... looking GREAT.

Started her up this afternoon..... engine running great.... Headlights worked.... turn signals came on but didn't blink... dome light worked.... even the windshield wipers worked.

Couple minor issues..... but all in all..... pretty good.

Went out to test the fuses after dinner...... and poof.

Now NOTHING works.... no lights.... no wipers..... and the car will turn over all day long but won't fire and start.

Like my entire electrical system took a crap.

It has to all be related..... something?? suggestions??? HELP!!!

WOW!!!! USMB is back up!!!!

I got a tip that the fusable link may be causing my problems. After locating it... it looks TERRIBLE (see picture).

So can I just replace it with a wire. If so, what gauge?

Or.... should I just put a new fuse in there? If so what size?

Any suggestions?

0e0acb7f.jpg

I have a progress thread on both clubwrx, as well as my forum.... http://www.slcsubaru.com. id post a link, but I'm on my phone.

Its hot rod black.... which is a flat/matte black...... and silver brat decals/striping are on their way here :) ill definitely post up once I get them on

Just gotta figure out this electrical issue first.

I would NOT just replace it with a regular wire. Not a big fan of fusable links either. I would replace it with either a maxi fuse of around 40/50 amps (good) or a circuit breaker (better). The benefit of the curcuit breaker is once it cools down, it will reset and get you back runing again. With a fuse or link, you better have a spare with you. Non blinking turn signals may be as simple as a bad flasher can or a burned out bulb.

Mark

I would NOT just replace it with a regular wire. Not a big fan of fusable links either. I would replace it with either a maxi fuse of around 40/50 amps (good) or a circuit breaker (better). The benefit of the curcuit breaker is once it cools down, it will reset and get you back runing again. With a fuse or link, you better have a spare with you. Non blinking turn signals may be as simple as a bad flasher can or a burned out bulb.

Mark

Good call, yeah, I had the same issue with my 85 BRAT.

I had smoked the main fusible link.

I just replaced mine with a 60amp stereo fuse.

10 gage wire clips will clip right onto the big fuses, then all you have to do is

adapt to your main plug.

Although a breaker would be a better option, price wise, a fuse is gonna be

cheaper in the here and now.

Twitch

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help folks!@!!

I replaced the fusable link with a 40 amp circuit breaker... cleaned up a nasty corroded fuse box, replaced all the fuses with new (and appropriate) fuses.... and dug out a crapload of nasty corroded light bulbs, and replaced both flasher units.

Long story short...... EVERYTHING works

High beams, low beams, marker lights, license plate lights, dome light, dashboard lights, turn signals, and brake lights..... EVERYTHING

..... except my reverse lights.... and I KNOW the bulbs are good.

Suggestions?????? Where should I start????

What do you mean by the aft section of the tranny?? My backing lights are a no go as well. What wire did you fiddle with?? How far under by the trannty were you?? Just want to know for sure so I can try the same thing. Thanks, Tommy..

Edited by biffanyus

At first, I thought it was the speedometer cable, but then realized it was a "wire"

Plugs in on the passenger side of ther tranny, near the crossmember... about the size of a chapstick cap, with a wire coming off the top of it.

I just turned the car on (not running)... put it in reverse.... and started pushing and jiggling until the lights popped on.

Also got a new thermostat installed yesterday, and a new heater hose, eliminating the unneeded inline arctic heater (I have no idea if it worked, and it could be clogging something)

Start it up today after the RTV dries.... hopefully that will solve the overheating problem

Oh..... also got the horn working with my aftermarket steering wheel :)