Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had a question on my 95 Legacy wagon. While the car is driving its seems like the from end is running louder than it should be. The best I can describe it is a mild sound of an airplane turbine from the front. I cant really describe it and thats driving me nuts. It just sounds like the front drivetrain is running louder than it should be. Its AWD and I did check the diff fluid level on the front and its on the L but I wouldnt think it would make that much extra noise from it being a little low. Maybe I'm wrong. I got the car in the air and everything is tight in the front end. Bearings are good with no play at all and the CV shafts were just replaced before I bought the car. Any ideas? I know I am going to get alot of crap for my skills on describing the sound but its the best I could do. It just sounds like it louder than it should be in the front diff. Any ideas or help would be great!!

Also, what gear oil or lube should I use to replenish what its low on in the front diff??

It still may be your bearings.

Mine sound like the sound you describe when I make a corner.

The best way to check your bearings is to pop the axle out and check them

out visually and to play with them.

I highly recommend wearing gloves when playing around with bearing grease.

If there is any play at all in the inner race, replace them.

And don't forget to check both the inner and outer bearings.

There is a writeup in the USRM for bearing replacement, and yes its for EA cars,

but the principal is the same for EJ's.

Twitch

Also could be the side gear bearings of the front diff.

You can easily pop the cups out and check the race for wear. Though replacement requires removeal of the trans from car and front diff from trans.

check the wheel bearings first.

tell us this, does the noise change when weight shifts side to side in turns? if so the wheel bearings arre the culprit.

If the noise stays fairly constant at a given throttle, regardless of turning/ weight shifting, it's more possibly the side bearings of the diff.(in trans/diff housing)

Actually it does change when I go around corners at higher speeds. Its gets a little louder and makes more of a "wawawa" sound. It also seems to get louder when I am slowing down and shifting the weight to the front. So I'm guessing its wheel bearings then?

Also could be the side gear bearings of the front diff.

You can easily pop the cups out and check the race for wear. Though replacement requires removeal of the trans from car and front diff from trans.

check the wheel bearings first.

tell us this, does the noise change when weight shifts side to side in turns? if so the wheel bearings arre the culprit.

If the noise stays fairly constant at a given throttle, regardless of turning/ weight shifting, it's more possibly the side bearings of the diff.(in trans/diff housing)

Sounds it.

Jack the fronts up, chock the rears/ebrake, put it in neutral, spin each front while listening/holding the spring.

I had a bad wheel bearing that was not loose but was noisy- could not spin it fast enough by hand to hear it, but the 'noise' could be felt in the spring.

Dave

Oh yeah, definately Twitch. Now that I know its the bearings the car isnt moving until I can go get the bearings. I'm not one to chance that happening. Made that mistake with a VW one time and the bearing actually welded itself to the spindle on the freeway. Not fun!

Thanks again fellas for all of your help! :grin: