Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door lock timer location 95 legacy

Finally saw it but I can't figure out how to remove it..

I did crack the vent removing it...

But funny thing is As soon as I removed it and tapped on the door timer my doors have been all locking and unlocking like they should now.

There is one 10mm bolt holding the housing which I guess it clips to. At least from I remember seeing. It could just be getting sticky and a few taps fixed it for now.

I almost cracked the vent frame when I took it out, (Got lucky)

Good luck to ya!

There is one 10mm bolt holding the housing which I guess it clips to. At least from I remember seeing. It could just be getting sticky and a few taps fixed it for now.

I almost cracked the vent frame when I took it out, (Got lucky)

Good luck to ya!

Yeah I saw the bolt too but unsure where to find a good angle to get in.

Well I'm thinking you should be able to get a box wrench in there and then just break the torque on it, then you should be able to remove the screw with your fingers. I forgot if you can get that high up in the dash from going under the dash.

Tip in case of:

Removing the Glove box does nothing for you. I've done that already for the hell of it Lol!

haha I know all about the removing the glove box so close but all that metal is in the way I'd have to see if I have a box wrench in that size.

A Subaru owner without a 10mm wrench! C'mon, you can take apart an entire Soob with a 10mm wrench :-p

• 3 months later...

just wanted to update this thread.. it was indeed my door lock timer causing my doors to try and keep locking on it's own or not responding to any position that the driver's side door lock was in.

Everyone kept telling me to check the drivers door but I knew that was not the issue because it was centered around the glove box area.. and sure enough it did not take long to figure the problem out as soon as i touched the door lock timer case.

Also that silver box is the cruse control unit I did not need it so I have an extra on hand.

It's a little confusing to get to.. but I had to pop the clip off the dash part between the dash and the door it's a single screw and the rest should be easy the hardest part was getting the dash part to snap back in the bracket.

Glad I took care of it and in the rain!

Oh yeah be careful some of that metal that is from the steering bracket is a bit sharp had to shed a little blood today.

I'm going to open up the old one.

i've spent a gob of time upside down with my head in the footwell area looking for this timer. the pictures are great that 1-3-2-4 posted but i can't tell what angle those are relative too. the yellow air bag line is the most telling but i still can't seem to see where this thing is.

almost positive it's on the passengers side like 1-3-2-4's since i hear it clicking when i work the locks.

internet connection where the car is won't work with video so i can't use that link he posted.

you access it all from underneath - like right by the blower motor?

do you remove anything else? i removed the bolt on the side of the dash but that doesn't allow it to move at all. removed two screws underneath and the dash isn't budging, not sure where all the dash attaching points are.

the FSM is worthless it shows an ambiguous picture with no surrounding clues/orientation. doesn't even show what side or where it is in the car. :rolleyes:

you access it all from underneath - like right by the blower motor?

do you remove anything else? i removed the bolt on the side of the dash but that doesn't allow it to move at all. removed two screws underneath and the dash isn't budging, not sure where all the dash attaching points are.

the FSM is worthless it shows an ambiguous picture with no surrounding clues/orientation. doesn't even show what side or where it is in the car. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's right by the blower motor but on the other side of that metal bracket It took me a little bit to get access at the screw since the bracket was a little hard to turn due to space but it's doable

you have to take out the glove box and the glovebox support bar.

and then you need to unscrew those two screws that hold the dash panel that metal piece.

Also careful on tugging on it and don't misplace the clip that is going to fall out the dash snap in just above where the bracket that has the door lock timer on it. You will see it on the backside it's like a 2 inch long pointy peice

and yes the FSM sucked for this I pretty much had to find a way on my own :-/

I had no luck on removing the door lock timer off the bracket.. the old one I had I had to rip it off the bracket despite of it I guess being a snap/slide in.

• 1 month later...

no man....i never could find the freaking thing. i still haven't removed the glove box since someone mentioned that needs to come out though. maybe that's holding me up, i hope so because i wasn't getting anywhere and it was annoying.

funny thing - my locks have worked perfectly since scrounging around back there so that's reduced my desire to wrestle with it.