Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 4WD Wagon new daily driver with future EJ swap

Well I started off end of last summer, thought that a bit of welding and painting would be done before the end of the year :clap:

But since this is my first restoration I was a bit wrong... I got the body back half way August this year so I just started work on it. I planned a lot in advance though like making sure I got all the parts I wanted to renew (as far as new stuff was still available).

I'm now working on getting the brake- and fuel lines done. I want to get rid of the hill-holder and I also need a bigger return line for the EJ-conversion. I'm using the original return line as evap.

Besides that I'm replacing all the suspension bushings. I have blasted and coated all the parts except the front cross member as it was still in good nick. The parts with bushings I couldn't get out or installed myself (I haven't got a press) I took to the local dealer and hope to get them back tomorrow. Then I can also get cracking on installing the Cross Bred Performance kit on the rear brakes for 5-lug conversion.

Then there still is the EJ 5MT I need to get installed (making new mounts) and modify drive shaft and gear shift mechanism. Fortunately I already have a set of modified front axles for the late EJ-hubs I'm using.

Some more progress today:

Bild1000.jpg

Routing engine wiring loom in the engine bay

Bild1001.jpg

Location of ECU in passenger footwell, youngest son watching with interest

Bild1002.jpg

Installing the front 5-lug hubs

Bild1003.jpg

Adjustable, custom made top mount installed

Bild1004.jpg

Hoisting the EJ 5MT transmission into place, need to figure out how I want to fab a mount for it though...

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress but it's rolling now:

Bild1039.jpg

Bild1040.jpg

Bild1042.jpg

Bild1043.jpg

Bild1044.jpg

The ride height at the back is too low, I will have to adjust it one or two notches on the torsion beam. Mind you, it's got a 90L LPG (liquified petroleum gas) fuel tank in the back, and no engine and interior yet.

Edited by LeoneTurbo

Looking so good! I'd like to see how and where you put the LPG tank in. I have seen it done in a GMC 1976 pick up, but never have I in a Subaru. That will run very clean. Will it affect the horse power up or down, I wonder? Your car is really coming together nicely. Thanks for updating, Aaron

I have the system in my Legacy Wagon now with a small tank in the spare wheel well. I wanted a bigger tank in my EA81 Wagon for greater range so it will be in the luggage compartment. It's stripped down on a metal frame bolted to the chassis.

From the gas tank there is a hard copper fuel line to the evaporator in the engine bay. The gas enters the evaporator, which is connected to the coolant system of the engine, in fluid state and is heated so it becomes in gaseous state. It then passes through and inline gas filter and goes to the LPG injectors. They are connected to the intake manifold via small hoses.

The ECU of the LPG system cuts the petrol injectors and calculates the LPG injection time based on the injector input signal from the petrol ECU.

Engine output is about 10% less on LPG (however there are system which inject fluid LPG into the intake manifold which lower the temperature of the intake charge when the LPG evaporates which actually increases horsepower) and fuel consumption is about 20-30% higher (in litres).

I usually get 8 km per litre of LPG (about 23-24 MPG) in my Legacy and with only a nett volume of 46L the range is about 370 km (my daily commute is 340 km).

I hope to get better LPG mileage in my EA81 Wagon as the engine will run a higher compression ratio (LPG has higher octane level so no fears for knock) with ported heads and a less restrictive exhaust system without cats. Oh and less aggressive cams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress...

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

I want to get the car up and running by the end of this month, but there's quite a list of things to do:

- make crossmember for transmission

- modify/fit gear linkage

- make front exhaust pipe

- have a stainless steel fuel tank made

- install dash

- install front axle shafts

- rebuild one front brake caliper (one's already done)

- install/modify hand brake

That's about it :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

OK another update. Last week I rebuilt the brake caliper and installed both on the car. I also modified the shift linkage and the transmission cross member they just have to be welded.

I wanted to install the front drive shafts but found out I got the wrong EJ outer cups to fit the EA cage (25 splines fit the transmission but not the cage) so I ended up sending a pair of BE/BH Legacy shafts to be shortened (yup, cut and weld), expect them this week.

As I got a box with nice parts from GeneralDisorder I continued with the dash (I got the pig tails for the older style cluster - which I like better than the later ones). Yesterday I spent the whole day to figure out how to wire in the new old cluster but it's done now and I also made the adapter loom between the ECU and the cluster (for CEL, speed sensor and tacho signal).

This is what the car looks like now:

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

About the color I'm going for with mine just a bit darker. It looks very nice. I really like that cluster a lot as well, ours never had the silver trim around it, I may have to look into doing that! Glad to see somebody else fixing one of these up, most people just drive them into the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I collected my SS tank and installed a 2WD Legacy tank and gauge unit (had to bend the arm for the gauge a bit to clear the tank wall):

rvs_tank.jpg

Remove the hand brake cable holder plate from a Legacy handbrake and welded it onto the EA81 handbrake:

handrem.jpg

Had the SS exhaust pipe welded in place after I did the measuring and cutting over the weekend:

front_pipe.jpg

Stil have to weld it up to the last bit of the front pipe (with the bracket to the gearbox) and install the O2-sensor bung.

So some major hurdles have been taken. I hope to have the car mechanically 'ready' in 2-3 weeks now.

This weekend I filled the rear diff, transmission, engine and cooling system with the required fluids and installed the intake stuff.

Some more pictures:

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

I still have to get a go at that transmission mount and I have to get a spacer made for my front struts. The spring hat is now in contact with the top mount so when I turn the steering wheel it grinds a bit.

More to come...

• 1 month later...

I decided to halt this project until spring. I'm not happy with the way some things have turned out (mainly transmission mount, exhaust routing) and the crap weather... I will repair my Legacy (rear whel bearings and rear brake lines) and run it for another year.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...