Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.2 Cam seal question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:23 PM

(95 Impreza 2.2 80K)

It appears that the cam seals don't leak with near the frequency that the crank and oil pump seals leak. If you are doing the timing belt and the oil pump seals, is it really necessary to do the cam seals if they are NOT leaking? I know at 130 or 140K, (Next belt), I will do them, but should this always be done with the first belt?

Thanks Much...

Todd

#2 vwbuge

vwbuge

USMB Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2004 - 06:46 PM

While you're in there it would be a shame not to do it. It is very easy while you're in there.

#3 Chip Hedrick

Chip Hedrick

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • New Gloucester

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:11 PM

I'd do the cam seals while you're in there. One of the cam seals suddenly went on my '98 OBW in January and the car started leaking copious quantities of oil. It had just turned over 100,000 mi. I don't have the same engine as the one in your car, but I don't see why the same problem couldn't happen. It would be unfortunate to have to re-open the t-belt cover to deal with a leaking cam seal.

#4 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:42 PM

When my 97 Legacy was in warranty I had a cam seal leak and it was fixed by the dealer. Now it has 275,000 miles and I have never replaced another one. However I have had to replace the crank seal twice. Had I replaced one that was not leaking it might have started. I am a big fan of the Gold Eagle stop leak since I used it for my rear engine seal leak around 150,000 miles nothing has started leaking again. Except the radiator so I put Barrs no leak in it and it has stopped (for now) And yes I know most Subaru owners would never put these in their cars, and I would probably not put them in anything with less than a 100,000 miles.

#5 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:00 AM

Do you trust your luck??

If you don't replace them they will leak :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users