Ultimate Subaru Message Board

always install flush, going in too far allows oil feed passages in the block to become exposed and just dump oil. although re doing it i got the tranny out in 30 minutes but had spen time cleaning all the dry threadlock off the clutch/flywheel bolts i just put on the day before ugh

I think I should of went with the 4" because the 3" is a tad small as it's pushing on the part where the spring is on the seal.

3" pipe itself is too small.

You need a coupler, cap, or some other 3" piece with a female flange end.

4" will be way too big.

You know since I just pulled the tranny out I don't think my rear main is leaking.. not 100% sure yet since I gotta get the clutch cover off and stuff but the stuff that is soaked and looks greyish looking is the transmission bellhousing inside.. the lower tranny bolts are soaked in the greyish fluid.. I smelled it but it really has no strong smell.. but it does not seem to be the color of oil?

I know this old transmission they ran it without any transmission fluid until crap started binding.. I think it took like 2 flushes to get the fluid to finally stay in the transmission.

given it's wetness I'm 85% sure it might be the front seal of the tranny.

nevertheless I got this for the real main if I need it

IMAG1195.jpg

oh and the rear part

IMAG1204.jpg

I just wanted to say after I drove in the new seal (the above still did it a little uneven) but i ended up getting it sorted out by hitting the seal with a rubber mallet, the seal is like all the other reference photos I saw.. I got a little confused at first after I first took it for a drive when I was done because it was smoking like before after highway speeds but I guess that must of been the left over stuff because now it no longer smokes and this is after like 6K runs.

having said that the first gasket I used was a fel-pro but then I noticed not too long after they came out with a "new & improved" version at least that's what the description said.

Anyways the sealing lip looked smaller on the fel-pro.

flush with bevel I like to put a film of ultra grey around seal to garentie will not come loose as seal should be instaled when the block halfs are asembeld the halfs of the block actualy clamp the seal in place so when you try to push it in after the fact it can be very tight and dosent always seal where the block seam is.