Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. New to the site.

Working on refilling/burping 1993 Legacy 2.2L 110K miles after replacing water pump, timing belt, and thermostat to correct overheating problem. The water pump would hardly turn and the timing belt was apparently just rubbing on the pump drive "pulley". I don't see any water or white smoke coming out the tail pipe. I refilled through the radiator cap (didn't know about the bleeder on the top right side of the radiator. The temperature still goes above normal. The upper radiator hose gets hot but the lower hose stays cool. I now have it up on ramps as suggested in many posts, but unsure best way to burp it. How should I burp it? Should I drain it and refill through the upper hose?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

It's conceivable that there is a clog in the system somewhere.. If you do end up draining it.. try running very low pressure water through the top and make sure it comes out the bottom.. do the same with the radiator.. make sure everything is "flowing." It might help clean out some gunk too...

Yeah, whenever I have my coolant system empty I get the garden hose on low pressure and just make sure everything looks like it is flowing well.. sometimes I get some funk out of some of the older vehicles! It's not a great "flow test" for the radiator.. but it's still good to know the coolant CAN move through there.