Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

88 gl wagon transfercase implant

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cameron 1

cameron 1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • magna ut

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

hi i have an 88 gl d/r wagon with a 4 in lift and i red on sjr that you can put a rear end up front and a t case out of a ford ranger for lower gearing has anyone done this hand how is the drivability and how durable is it :banana:

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Not a ranger usually, use a divorced t-case out of a suzuki samuri, or datsun 720 I think. You cut the rear driveshaft short and run it into the divorced t-case and then make custom driveshafts front and rear.

You need at least 6" of lift, as you need to put an extra front crossmember stacked under the one you have. You need to build a subframe to support the t-case, custom shifters, and at the end of that you're putting all your power through the rear transfer gears in the transmission, which I've stripped the teeth off of a couple times running just RWD.

All in all, it makes more sense to drop a subaru body on a pickup frame than go through the whole process of transfer case and diff installation. Accept the limitations of the subaru and wheel within them. If you need something more capable, get something with a frame and solid axles.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

From everything I've seen of the t-case equipped rigs and my own measurements it takes a minimum of 10" of lift to make the t-case work without floorpan modifications and to clear the front diff under the transmission. 12" is easier to work with. Either way a complete subframe has to tbe part of the job.

I don't think 6" would be enough and 4" definitely wouldn't cut it at all.

GD

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Plus it seems that most of the people that went to the trouble of t-case swapping a subaru ended up driving lifted toyota's before too long. Breaking CV axles gets old pretty quick, and a t-case just puts more torque into them.

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Much better idea:
http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=111709
http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=110400

Looks like this will make it much easier to get a tough transmission/tcase combo under a subaru. AND probably do it in a more compact package than any other divorced tcase option...which means less lift.

If I were building a lifted subaru. I would be all over this!! But I've already made the switch to toyota....

#6 cameron 1

cameron 1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • magna ut

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

well sounds like thats not the way to go thanks for the info its sounded like it would be sweet but now its sounds like waaay way tomuch work i guess i will leave it the way it is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users