Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever EA swaped a legacy ?

oskar_subaru

hmm ok so i have my 87" leone and my dad uses my legacy to get to work and back (2-3km commute)

i was thinking about stealing the EJ22 out of the legacy but my dad still needs to get to work, so i thought, If a EJ fits into the leone without much trouble then getting the EA to work in the legacy cant be so difficult :banana:

anyone ever done this that you know of ?

the EA would not bolt upto the EJ trans. it would be to deep.

you can go the other way around EJ onto EA, with an adapter plate, due to the fact that you need the extra distance between the engine and trans. but not the other way around.

the EA would not bolt upto the EJ trans. it would be to deep.

you can go the other way around EJ onto EA, with an adapter plate, due to the fact that you need the extra distance between the engine and trans. but not the other way around.

He could swap the engine and trans from each car into the other though, I bet. I don't see how it's worth the effort, but one of the things I like about the USMB is that nobody tells you something's impossible, they just say how much time/money it will take to do.

Jacob

I know someone that had an EJ18 in his Legacy for a while and even that was pretty bad.
you know two people. mine is FWD auto and it's underpowered. it's bareable for daily driving, mostly annoying traveling long distance, it can't do inclines at highway speeds without constant down shifting and even with that it won't hold speed with much more than me in the car weight wise.

possible.

But, not smart. It would be a lot of work (and you'd have to source extra wiring harnesses for both cars), for a substantially less reliable and less powerful motor in the legacy. Just look elsewhere for your donor.

you know two people. mine is FWD auto and it's underpowered. it's bareable for daily driving, mostly annoying traveling long distance, it can't do inclines at highway speeds without constant down shifting and even with that it won't hold speed with much more than me in the car weight wise.

Yikes! And my friend Ed had one in his '90 AWD Automatic..... with outback struts and wheels/tires :rolleyes:. He said it was actually scary how slow the car was with a reduction of *only* 25 HP.

GD

i would be talking about taking the trans with each motor, i have some rednecking skills and a welder / any power tool, and as i said, it would not have to be a fun drive, just get the old man to work and back, my EA motor/trans only have about 60.000miles on them and and the motor is fairly strong in its powerband

i know what i would be getting myself into work-wise but this cant cost well, nothing would be best :rolleyes:

welder and power tools won't help you. mechanically it'll all fit pretty well.

driveshafts will have to be modified (and balanced), for BOTH cars.

and like I said, you'll need TWO spare bulkhead wiring harnesses.

Also, both swaps are going to require a plethora of misc hoses and such.

cost of an extra harness and extra driveshaft modification would be similar to just buying another EJ22. with zero downtime to the legacy.

Even ignoring the performance loss (which would be substantial). it's not a logical idea. And then put that performance loss back in, and consider that the fuel efficiency would take a noticeable hit as a result.

Take our advice. it's not a good idea! If your budget is effectively zero.....leave both cars as they are!!!

Edited by Numbchux

Legacy's are heavy and losing 45 HP isn't going to be pretty. I know someone that had an EJ18 in his Legacy for a while and even that was pretty bad.

GD

My legacy is a 1.8L 4WD and it goes pretty good. Not slugish at all :)

And I dont know if you guys know but the Legacy did also come with the EJ16 as well but only come in fwd :lol: