Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 parts id needed

T'subaru

I recently purchased xt6 brake assys from a car that had been converted. Rear is all good, but I ran into some weird parts on the front upon disassembly. I have the xt6 calipers set up for the park brakes, but 2 different hubs were found and the xt6 hub has spacer washers on the wheel studs and bearing shims to space it away from the hub to mimic the other hub, heres some pics..can anyone identify the mystery hub?

100_0356.jpg

xt6 on the left... ??? on the right

100_0358.jpg

100_0357.jpg

note that the hub on the right has screw prep, and both rotors are prepped for flat head machine screws to hold or locate rotors to hubs.

100_0353.jpg

100_0349.jpg

any guesses on what happened here and what parts were combined?

Thanks, Mark

Edited by T'subaru
added picture

The oddball one with the spacers is an Impreza/Legacy hub. I happen to have one here to look at and it's virtually identical (lacking the spacers of course). The one I have here is either from a '96 or a '93 Legacy but for sure it's not from an XT6.

My guess is that Turbone is correct and the rusty one without the modified spacers and junk on it is a true XT6 hub and at some point the other got damaged due to a failed wheel bearing or a failed attempt to remove said wheel bearing :rolleyes: and the best replacement they could source was the Legacy hub.

From what I have gathered from reading posts on the subject - about the only thing that *needs* to come from an XT6 on the front is the lower control arm - the rest can be Impreza/Legacy parts and should work fine. So I would think you could just use Legacy knuckles instead of trying to find an XT6 hub.... though you might be able to just buy a new one - I'm not sure what they cost.

Although the solution to the fitment problem they came up with seems ok if done properly (doesn't look properly done though). The problem they were solving was the location of the brake disc - the XT6 hub being much longer overall and having a different location for the disc. They had some space to make up - looks like about 1/4" - so they split the difference by moving the hub outward with the 1/8" of bearing spacers and then spacing the disc out the last 1/8" with some flat washers.... the problem being that flat washers aren't precision manufactured so would have to be selected very carefully or made identical with some machining process in order to insure that the is no wobble to the disc.

Perhaps using EJ brake parts would make it work without the spacers too.... you would have to see if the discs are a different depth, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

The hub with the washers on it doesnt look like a XT6 hub, besides having the outer race still on it(?).

The rusty hub looks like a XT6 hub to me.

Thats a strange morphadite setup for sure.

Thanks Turbone, Looks like I mis identified what was what..

and I agree, its a morphadite set up

The oddball one with the spacers is an Impreza/Legacy hub. I happen to have one here to look at and it's virtually identical (lacking the spacers of course). The one I have here is either from a '96 or a '93 Legacy but for sure it's not from an XT6.

My guess is that Turbone is correct and the rusty one without the modified spacers and junk on it is a true XT6 hub and at some point the other got damaged due to a failed wheel bearing or a failed attempt to remove said wheel bearing :rolleyes: and the best replacement they could source was the Legacy hub.

From what I have gathered from reading posts on the subject - about the only thing that *needs* to come from an XT6 on the front is the lower control arm - the rest can be Impreza/Legacy parts and should work fine. So I would think you could just use Legacy knuckles instead of trying to find an XT6 hub.... though you might be able to just buy a new one - I'm not sure what they cost.

Although the solution to the fitment problem they came up with seems ok if done properly (doesn't look properly done though). The problem they were solving was the location of the brake disc - the XT6 hub being much longer overall and having a different location for the disc. They had some space to make up - looks like about 1/4" - so they split the difference by moving the hub outward with the 1/8" of bearing spacers and then spacing the disc out the last 1/8" with some flat washers.... the problem being that flat washers aren't precision manufactured so would have to be selected very carefully or made identical with some machining process in order to insure that the is no wobble to the disc.

Perhaps using EJ brake parts would make it work without the spacers too.... you would have to see if the discs are a different depth, etc.

GD

Thanks for the info GD, having the xt6 calipers, I must have the xt6 knuckles also as I believe Legacy calipers have the p/b hook up on the rear calipers...it all makes sense now...except the way they made the Legacy hub work

my dealings so far to date I wouldnt have been able to tell ej from xt6 parts, and assumed I had ej knuckles...and I couldnt figure out why someone would have to jury rig the hub. I think GD nailed it, I have all xt6 stuff from the control arms out and someone adapted an ej hub to fit.....kinda

Edited by T'subaru

One easy way to differentiate between XT6 and newer knuckles is to look at the two strut mounting holes. If both holes are the same size then it is an XT6 knuckle. If the top hole is larger because it is used with a camber bolt, then that is not an XT6 hub.

I always thought EJ and XT6 hubs were the same, except for the ABS tone ring mounts (although I don't know what market the '6 got ABS) and the 2 little bolts to hold the rotor on.

But, not too long ago, we did new bearings in my dad's legacy. I had problems getting the inner race off, so I just grabbed a spare XT6 one off the shelf and put it in. fit perfectly (duh). Got it all together, everything went great. Then, we went to put the brakes on, and the rotor was too far out. the caliper bracket would barely clear.

But, the brake caliper mounts have different spacing, and (as mentioned) the strut mounts are different. So you definitely have an EJ hub with XT6 everything-else.