Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saying Hello and is this the right place for me?

Hi, I just purchased a Subaru powered Dune Buggy and I know next to nothing about Subaru engines. Are there other's here like me? Will I be able to find lots of useful information or should I look elsewhere?

Here's a shot of the engine in my buggy:

100_3028.JPG

All I know about it is that it's a 4 cylinder engine built by Outfront Motorsports out of California running a Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo with an external TIAL wastegate. I believe it's a 2.5L engine, but I have no idea what kind of vehicle the case came out of or anything. Any help with how I can figure out this information to make servicing it easier would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Speedbuggy

That's a Phase I EJ25 DOHC. All EJ25 equipped Subaru's between 1996 and 1998 have that exact same engine, and some in 1999.

There's two different style timing belt tensioner mechanisms, but otherwise everything else is the same. Pretty much on way to tell which tensioner style you have without just looking. You can pull the drivers side timing cover to get a peak at it....well in normal engine without all that plumbing in front, yours might be trickier.

It's an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks the exhaust and intake valves are going to collide and cause damage.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but maybe that helps?

That's a Phase I EJ25 DOHC. All EJ25 equipped Subaru's between 1996 and 1998 have that exact same engine, and some in 1999.

There's two different style timing belt tensioner mechanisms, but otherwise everything else is the same. Pretty much on way to tell which tensioner style you have without just looking. You can pull the drivers side timing cover to get a peak at it....well in normal engine without all that plumbing in front, yours might be trickier.

It's an interference engine, if the timing belt breaks the exhaust and intake valves are going to collide and cause damage.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but maybe that helps?

Thanks Gary, you answered my first and biggest question right off the bat (ie. what is this thing?). Based on that hopefully I can find some service manuals. I know it's highly modified (running a Stinger EMS and with the single Turbonetics Turbo) but that should still help. It's currently running great, I just want to be able to keep it that way.

Up until now I've been running Volkswagen powered buggies (and rebuilt a couple engines from the bottom up) and based on that I can't conceive how exhaust and intake valves can collide. Going to have to find some engine diagrams.

ETA: OK, found a diagram and see what you're talking about. I'll be sure to keep a nice solid belt on it at all times!

Edited by Speedbuggy

right, as you saw, the valves are angled so they can collide at full extension. this means it's a good idea to replace the timing belt and all the associated pulleys or at the very least check them. they do run out of grease and get old over time. at least on cars, i don't know how more or less harsh this application would be on an engine component. i'm doubtful this thing will see 105,000 miles to the next timing belt service interval but then again it's generating a lot of heat really close to the timing components too - so the bearings will likely degrease quicker.

subaru has a parts website call opposed forces with all sorts of diagrams and part numbers.

woah i've been to enon valley before, nice. where do you drive something like that up there? "buggy" is an appropriate term, eh? LOL!!!!

You have? Crazy, this town is barely a blip on the map. This 'buggy' is strictly set up for street. We just cruise with it. I use it like other people use Harleys (or maybe in this case a Hayabusa) (and in fact my last motorcycle was traded in on my first buggy) but the whole family can ride with me. I call it a buggy for lack of a better term. Its much more a streetrod than a 'Dune Buggy' IMO.

Edited by Speedbuggy

i like "buggy" due to the amish tint around your area, perfect fit! i got it now, i was wondering "Dune Buggy" doesn't sound like a typical enon valley mobile, now i'm with it.

a friend of mine is from Enon Valley, so i've been to his parents place before and i know what you mean by "blip". i can't even picture "enon valley" as a city, i just know his house/street!

Hello , really cool ride you got there , I like that a lot ! Very nicely done project ,looks clean and professional . I'm really curious what you paid for it ...... but won't ask . no matter what the price .... if you love it , that's all that matters ! enjoy ! all the best , murph ........really curious !:slobber:

Thanks Murph. Yeah the guy that built it did a phenomenal job. He actually runs a business doing it. This particular one was his personal car and he also used it as a show model to sell more. I jumped at the chance to buy it as I got a great deal.

This is his website:

http://www.denmatcars.com/

My car is the Manxter 2+2 TS-300. You can see what he charges for a brand new made to order build on there. I didn't pay anything near that (since I bought his personal car that he'd been using for 4 years) but it will at least give you an idea.

There's another company out of California that builds them too and they have a wider range of models from a good bit less to a good bit more than what Denmat offers.

http://mendeolamotors.com/motors/

And of course, if you're so inclined you can get one much cheaper by building it yourself:

http://www.meyersmanx.com/manxter2+2.shtml

Surprisingly I don't recognize either last name. But I guess it's not to surprising, I didn't go to school here, but just across the border in East Palestine, OH..

So back to the engine.. it's an EJ25D.. Other than making sure I never let the timing belt wear out, what other stuff should I watch for? I've read about the head gaskets, but this engine was completely rebuilt by Outfront Motosports and so I feel confident they replaced the head gasket already.

I Like your Buggy, it Looks very Nice! :)

Here in my Country there are some Buggys Runnin' on Subaru EA81 and EA82 engines, also with VolksWagen's Bug Engines... but No one has a Complete Body like Yours...

Could I Ask about the Body Material? ... is it Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic over Steel? ...

or is it Sheetmetal?

Kind Regards.