Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 Remounting Alternator Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaddCelt

MaddCelt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Walton, KY

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

To fix the plug hole I have to remove the alt and the bracket that that the AC, AC fan and alt connect to;

Posted Image

I reconnected the bracket and the AC compressor. I remounted the Alt and for some odd reason it does not line up with the crank shaft wheel and water pump. There is also a gap between the alt and the bracket on one side;

Posted Image
Posted Image

I have been fighting with it for the past two days. When I fired things up when I first had it connected the alt rattled quite a bit and the belt looked like it was going to pop off.

Am I missing something here? I hit the limit of my mechanical aptitude and knowledge at this point.

Edited by MaddCelt, 11 July 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • KY

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

Use a stack of washer and a longer bolt and that will reposition the alternator out where it should be. You sure when you took everything apart the alternator didn't have two spacers?

#3 MaddCelt

MaddCelt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Walton, KY

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

I do not believe so. Been about a week and a half since I pulled it but I just put everything back on it when I set it aside.

Bad thing was I didn't put enough attention on the belts so I am not sure how it was set up originally.

#4 T'subaru

T'subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • T'sunami Coast WA

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

I do not believe so. Been about a week and a half since I pulled it but I just put everything back on it when I set it aside.

Bad thing was I didn't put enough attention on the belts so I am not sure how it was set up originally.

gave you a link on your other post to a fsm
http://www.ch601.org/engines.htm
go get it:) life gets easy with a fsm

#5 cawain

cawain

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Rolla, Mo

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Looks like the alternator mounts behind the brackets. not in front of them. and the alt belt would connect to the back pully.

#6 MaddCelt

MaddCelt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Walton, KY

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

I thought that as well and tried it. The blades hit the bracket and it is still off but a bit further back.

#7 Twitch de la Brat

Twitch de la Brat

Village Psycho

• Members
  • 1,539 posts
  • The Athol of Idaho

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

I believe its supposed to go around it, because on the back there should be a
funky bent plate that has a nut welded to it.

Also, if you look at the rub marks on the bracket, that should give you clues to
where it should be mounted.

But I just checked my EA82 (Same Alt, same bracket setup) and it appears to
wrap around the bracket.

Twitch

#8 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

looks right.
the thin sleeves have slid though. push the sleeve out, they tap with a light hammer. both sleeves should stick out some at the back of the alternator, your sleeves are pushed to the front too much the way i see it.
I had an alternator that fit too tightly, opposite of yours.

also, you are missing the 2nd belt. The alternator has its own belt, not the AC belt.

Edited by bheinen74, 12 July 2010 - 01:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users