Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Remounting Alternator Problems

To fix the plug hole I have to remove the alt and the bracket that that the AC, AC fan and alt connect to;

35072_1490391255810_1114842834_31433082_8034568_n.jpg

I reconnected the bracket and the AC compressor. I remounted the Alt and for some odd reason it does not line up with the crank shaft wheel and water pump. There is also a gap between the alt and the bracket on one side;

35072_1490391375813_1114842834_31433085_7704386_n.jpg

35072_1490391295811_1114842834_31433083_920494_n.jpg

I have been fighting with it for the past two days. When I fired things up when I first had it connected the alt rattled quite a bit and the belt looked like it was going to pop off.

Am I missing something here? I hit the limit of my mechanical aptitude and knowledge at this point.

Edited by MaddCelt

I do not believe so. Been about a week and a half since I pulled it but I just put everything back on it when I set it aside.

Bad thing was I didn't put enough attention on the belts so I am not sure how it was set up originally.

I do not believe so. Been about a week and a half since I pulled it but I just put everything back on it when I set it aside.

Bad thing was I didn't put enough attention on the belts so I am not sure how it was set up originally.

gave you a link on your other post to a fsm

http://www.ch601.org/engines.htm

go get it:) life gets easy with a fsm

I believe its supposed to go around it, because on the back there should be a

funky bent plate that has a nut welded to it.

Also, if you look at the rub marks on the bracket, that should give you clues to

where it should be mounted.

But I just checked my EA82 (Same Alt, same bracket setup) and it appears to

wrap around the bracket.

Twitch

looks right.

the thin sleeves have slid though. push the sleeve out, they tap with a light hammer. both sleeves should stick out some at the back of the alternator, your sleeves are pushed to the front too much the way i see it.

I had an alternator that fit too tightly, opposite of yours.

also, you are missing the 2nd belt. The alternator has its own belt, not the AC belt.

Edited by bheinen74