Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum line help

Soo ive had nothing but problems with my brand new carb on my ea82. It hesitates under light throttle. Im almost positive it is a vacuum leak. And ive been told by a few people to just take off all of the vacuum hoses except for the ones you absolutely need. I am willing to try this, but which ones do I keep and take off? Pictures anyone??

-Jeff

Which Carb your Subie Has? ... :confused:

if it is the Original Craptachi Carb, it has a Vacuum Operated Secondary Stage... The one that Brings the Power on Higher RPM's and sounds to me like it is Unplugged or Plugged to the Wrong Port.

So, The "Needed" or Basic Vacumm Lines at the EA82 with Craptachi Carbs, are the Vacuum for the Secondary Stage at the Same Carb itself, the Vacuum for the Timin' Advance to the Distribuitor and the EGR ones.

I Kindly Suggest you to Start by Searchin' if the Carb itself has a Vacuum Leak, you can Spray Carb Cleaner on the Carb's Base while Keeping the Engine Revving at Around 2000 RPM's and see if the Spray Modifies the RPM's Speed... if So, it has been "Swalowed" by a Vacuum Leak that could be something as Simple as a loose Carb.

The Secondary Stage, which is Located on the Carb's Rear; needs its Vacuum Advance pugged to the Right Port, which is Located on the Carb's Front... That Port has a "Progressive" Vacuum Behaviour, so if you Plug the Secondary Vacuum to a "Permanent" Vacuum Port, You'll Notice that the Engine will Deeply Accelerate to High RPM's... So Search for the Progressive Port.

I Hope this can Help... if not, I Kindly Suggest you to do what I Did:

Swap there a Weber Carb! :grin:

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

Thanks for the reply! I want to do the weber carb, but need to find one and everything associated with it for a decent price. It isnt the original carb, it is a brand new one the previous owner put on but never could get it to run right after installing it. pictures of anything would help. and I will try the carb cleaner trick tomorrow..

-Jeff

... pictures of anything would help. ...

Yes! ... Could you Post Pictures of your Subie's Current Carb Setup? ... Maybe that way we can Figure out what's Wrong with it...

Let me Tell you that other Car Brands came with Hitachi Carburetors that Looks Almost identical to the ones on EA82 Subarus (Like Nissan Sunny / Sentra in example) those even fit Right there, but they Won't feed Right the EA82 Engine...

I Tried to Drive my EA82 Subie with one of Those when the Original Craptachi carb died, it Never tuned well and fuel economy was lost, along it bring a Lack of Power... but the Weber Carb is the Best Solution I can imagine.

So, along of Pictures of your Carb setup, I Kindly Suggest you to Post the Part Numbers found on your current Subie's Carburetor, in order to be Sure if it Belongs to an EA82 Engine.

Kind Regards.