Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 questions Weber and intake for EA81

Hello all,

Question 1. Are you guys still using the weber carb conversion, and are there instructions on the board for it, I've searched but can't find?

Question 2. I was thinking about grinding down the lip on the inside of the intake where it attaches to the heads. Would this be a mistake or would it improve air flow?

Thanks in advance,

John

Hello all,

Question 1. Are you guys still using the weber carb conversion, and are there instructions on the board for it, I've searched but can't find?

Question 2. I was thinking about grinding down the lip on the inside of the intake where it attaches to the heads. Would this be a mistake or would it improve air flow?

Thanks in advance,

John

Answer to question one: look in the Old USMB Repair forum. Follow this link: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65969. Someone else will have to offer info on your second question.

They really aren't all that expensive considering that a rebuilt stock replacement carb will run around the $250 range.

The carb is the most complex and precise metering device on your car - a lot goes into their manufacture or rebuild.

I can take a used Weber - rebuild/rejet, change the choke style, and add the adaptor plate and filter for right arond $200 all-in. That's paying $100 for a good used carb that has little to no throttle shaft wear. The last one I did cost $190 complete - that's changing the choke to electric, buying the adaptor plate/rebuild kit, and changing a few jets.

I wouldn't reccomend the "kits" from Redline. They don't come with the right linkage parts nor the correct size air filter - and sometimes they need some jetting changes since they are only a starting point. If you are going to buy a new one call up carbsunlimited.com and tell them you want the bare carb with your choice of choke style (I prefer manual) and the short air filter plus a couple of different idle jet choices - 50 (usually included) as well as a 55 and a 60 for tuning.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

I can take a used Weber - rebuild/rejet, change the choke style, and add the adaptor plate and filter for right arond $200 all-in. That's paying $100 for a good used carb that has little to no throttle shaft wear. The last one I did cost $190 complete - that's changing the choke to electric, buying the adaptor plate/rebuild kit, and changing a few jets.

I wouldn't reccomend the "kits" from Redline. They don't come with the right linkage parts nor the correct size air filter - and sometimes they need some jetting changes since they are only a starting point. If you are going to buy a new one call up carbsunlimited.com and tell them you want the bare carb with your choice of choke style (I prefer manual) and the short air filter plus a couple of different idle jet choices - 50 (usually included) as well as a 55 and a 60 for tuning.

GD

GD good info as always!

What's a good source for used Weber's?

And Shipping kills me living here in AK! Sometimes I can work a trip to the lower 48 to get much needed parts with no shipping charge.

GD good info as always!

What's a good source for used Weber's?

And Shipping kills me living here in AK! Sometimes I can work a trip to the lower 48 to get much needed parts with no shipping charge.

Good source would be ebay, craigslist or right on here in the classifieds. They come up from time to time. You can get a 32/36 off another car and just jet it correctly for your subaru too.

• 2 months later...
hey GD if i get a carb from carbsunlimited.com where could i find an adapter plate?

It comes with the kit from carbsunlimited if im not mistaken. I bought mine from Overseas (bigjim here on the board). Great customer service and about the same price as carbsunlimited.

Carbsunlimited sells the adaptor plates as well as the air filters. I don't like the kits from Redline - I prefer to buy the carb, adaptor, and filter seperate so I know I'm getting what I want. The kit does not give you the choice of choke style or filter size and the filter it comes with is too tall for a non-lifted Subaru.

GD

hey thanks guys. also, im not sure what jets to use. im stationed in oak harbor, wa so im right at sea level. what do you recommend? im gonna check out that site today. im trying to talk my chief into a weber and i need one for my 86 brat.:grin: i bought a kit for my 82 brat from Redline. the adapter plate lined up kind of goofy and they only sent me 1 out of 4 mounting bolts. i also had to cut a hole in the hood for the air filter to fit. when i called Redline their customer service was less than satisfactory.

Edited by TIMBERTIGER