Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good looking ride! You sure have addressed the problem areas on the car. Do you have a grill to install? I would hate to hear that a rock got flipped into your radiator to cause a leak. The grill would prevent that.

it runs great. new radiator and I'm aware of the grill not being there and what can happen. i just got it this way and i gotta replace the grill and windshield.

never got warm

i however took a loss trading Scubert for it. but i had to let him go

New Pictures:

HPIM6456.jpg

HPIM6458.jpg

HPIM6460.jpg

HPIM6464.jpg

HPIM6459.jpg

Had to get New Plates.

Edited by SubaruJawn

i see in Tom's Post he got Forester springs for his Legacy.

would those lift my outback ?

so would it make difference on my outback ?

or could i just put 90-94 legacy wagon springs on ?

Edited by SubaruJawn
Corrections Made

Starting issue fixed.

more to go

Problems needing fixed are:

Speed-o Some times works

Gas Gauge Slow and some times drops to E

Rough Idle but drives fine.

any have knowledge fixes ?

CD Player Installed:

HPIM6494.jpg

Edited by SubaruJawn
Problems List Added

Starting issue fixed.

more to go

Problems needing fixed are:

Speed-o Some times works

Gas Gauge Slow and some times drops to E

Rough Idle but drives fine.

any have knowledge fixes ?

the speedo is a known issue in the 99s, replace it with one from a different year. i'm pretty sure a 98 will work but you better confirm that.

gas gauge is a known problem as well. a bottle of techron fuel system additive may help. but mostly you just live with it or buy new replacement parts. the tank has 2 senders, one on each side because of the rear drive shaft. they get dirty and just don't work like they should. mine is the same way, but techron helps and the light still comes on with about 2 gallons left so i just use the trip meter and the light.

rough idle could be anything from plug + wires to o2 sensor. when was the last time you replaced the plug wires?? use subaru only!!

ok. if i replace it then mileage would be off. but then i could roll it back to the actual mileage.

hmm Techron Fuel Additive.. I'll try that. it works 70% of the time but i still want to fix it so i know how much gas is left.

I'll check those censors. i thought it could be bad ground.

plugs and wires are new. said the previous owner. o2 ? hmm i didnt check that.

i just got the car Wednesday.

Thanks for the Info

Greatly Appreciate it.

the speedo is a known issue in the 99s, replace it with one from a different year. i'm pretty sure a 98 will work but you better confirm that.

gas gauge is a known problem as well. a bottle of techron fuel system additive may help. but mostly you just live with it or buy new replacement parts. the tank has 2 senders, one on each side because of the rear drive shaft. they get dirty and just don't work like they should. mine is the same way, but techron helps and the light still comes on with about 2 gallons left so i just use the trip meter and the light.

rough idle could be anything from plug + wires to o2 sensor. when was the last time you replaced the plug wires?? use subaru only!!

Cool i saw this one on craigslist....glad it went to a member.

Hey yall thats the ac condenser there behind the grill the radiator is safe and sound. I have a grill if you need one.

The spedo is a 99 only problem and a 99 only part.. I have a 99 oBW and have installed 3 spedos in it...ALL FAIL. Trying to figure out a fix involving a different year.

95-98=2 wire

99=one wire

Mileage is easy to reset. Come to Columbus and ill show you and we can put a grill in so people won't worry :)

Cool i saw this one on craigslist....glad it went to a member.

Hey yall thats the ac condenser there behind the grill the radiator is safe and sound. I have a grill if you need one.

The spedo is a 99 only problem and a 99 only part.. I have a 99 oBW and have installed 3 spedos in it...ALL FAIL. Trying to figure out a fix involving a different year.

95-98=2 wire

99=one wire

Mileage is easy to reset. Come to Columbus and ill show you and we can put a grill in so people won't worry :)

yup. it was under the Erie, Pa Cragslist and i offered to trade up my xt6 for it. he thought about it for a couple days and we went for it. a bump in the road here and there to do the trade but we got it done :)

i absolutely love it !

i want to get the A/C Going again so i don't want to damage the Condenser.

what style grill is it ? the common big gray one ? i want the Limited Edition Black and Chrome Lip.

there's a video on youtube that has a fix thing:

Can anyone Confirm this ?

yea i might swing your way sometime. Columbus isn't very far.

I can confirm it really helped me. When my Outback randomly misfired on the freeway, the service technician who diagnosed it recommended I run Techron fuel system cleaner/additive. The gas gauge was slow as hell, and after running a full tank of it, I noticed the fuel gauge moved at a more accurate rate and moved faster upwards after fill-ups.

got the new windshield.

$79.50 total

yet to put in. (tomorrow maybe)

HPIM6521.jpg

HPIM6528.jpg

Best of luck to that! I heard that installing a windshield is a PITA though.

I can confirm it really helped me. When my Outback randomly misfired on the freeway, the service technician who diagnosed it recommended I run Techron fuel system cleaner/additive. The gas gauge was slow as hell, and after running a full tank of it, I noticed the fuel gauge moved at a more accurate rate and moved faster upwards after fill-ups.

Best of luck to that! I heard that installing a windshield is a PITA though.

I'll have to get a bottle or can of that techron fuel system additive.

not if I'm not doing it :grin:

my neighbor works at safelite auto glass. he is taking an hour lunch so he can do my windshield off the clock. $50 for him to do it.

i cant beat that ! when i do it i finish busting the windshield out. i have done it before. i told him that what i do.. he shook his head No.. :lol: you don't do that creating more work for your self he sais.

so hopefully today it'll be in.

Nice car. The speedo issueis a problem with one of the contacts. Open up the back of the speedo and you will find one of the solder joints bad. Just resolder it and you are good to go. One of my friends had the same issue and she fixed it very easily.

As far as the gas guage goes, try the techron. If that doesn't work let me know and I can send you the secondary sender out of one of my parts cars. Known good.

Mike

Run NGK Plugs and Wires - they are of the same quality and less then a genuine part.

Buy a Genuine PCV.

Clean out all the Air intake hoses.

i have no idea what plugs are in it. they look harder to get to as well.

pcv will do asap

clean intake hoses. will do

The easiest way to get at the plugs is to unbolt one of the motor mounts and jack up that side of the motor. You will then be able to get your socket in there for removel and reinstallation. Not a fun job, so use the good NGK platinium plugs. They are rated for 100K so you won't have to do them for some time.

The easiest way to get at the plugs is to unbolt one of the motor mounts and jack up that side of the motor. You will then be able to get your socket in there for removel and reinstallation. Not a fun job, so use the good NGK platinium plugs. They are rated for 100K so you won't have to do them for some time.

thats what i thought I'd have to do. well except jacking it up. non DOHC is easy

i'm writing all this down so i try not to forget what to do during the weekend.

the plugs are gonna have to wait. i don't have enough to buy new ones yet.