Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a driving the outback problem.

I'm only 5'3" and i have to really stretch my leg to make sure that clutch pedal is all the way to the floor. i cant move my seat up because of my FAT gut rubbing on the steering wheel.

the pedal is way to soft is there a way to harden the pedal ?

And when i go to start it the key buzzes i have to let go and turn it again for it to start. is that Normal ?

Edited by SubaruJawn
spelling corrections

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a driving the outback problem.

I'm only 5'3" and i have to really stretch my leg to make sure that clutch pedal is all the way to the floor. i cant move my seat up because of my FAT gut rubbing on the steering wheel.

the pedal is way to soft is there a way to harden the pedal ?

And when i go to start it the key buzzes i have to let go and turn it again for it to start. is that Normal ?

The buzzing could be the starter relay. If you aren't pushing the pedal far down enough the relay may be opening and closing really fast if the clutch switch is just barely being pushed.

The buzzing could be the starter relay. If you aren't pushing the pedal far down enough the relay may be opening and closing really fast if the clutch switch is just barely being pushed.

its all the way to the floor. i just have to let the key go and turn it again the 2nd time. then it'll start

Lucky Me !

i have another I.A.C.V ! and didn't know it :grin:

was going threw my parts and there it sat i believe its from the 95 Auto Legacy (the white Sedan) but its from a 2.2L does that make a difference ?

Also had some fun in the outback.:cool:

vlcsnap-2010-07-25-13h16m09s106.png

vlcsnap-2010-07-25-13h14m51s86.png

HPIM6564.jpg

HPIM6561.jpg

Scrounged up some change to get a can of carb and choke cleaner. $3 a can

cleaned the PCV and IAC.

no more Rough Idle and car doesn't vibe near as bad still does but that's normal engine running vibe... I'm sure

well i'll report back if the rough idle comes back.

Scratch that. Still Does it!

Edited by SubaruJawn
update

ok tried the Screw between the blue connection.

HPIM6654.jpg

HPIM6656.jpg

HPIM6657.jpg

The Speed-o is working again :)

but will it keep working :confused:

we shall find out soon enough

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq1oZZuk2IY

Update: Took a short drive about 10 miles. the speed-o did stop working for a few seconds then worked again. now that i have gone the routine route it has been working.

Edited by SubaruJawn

yes but you don't have to. it is easier to switch the other way. once you get the trans on the floor side by side you will see what you have to do. it's not hard.

ok. my outback doesn't need it. i thought about keeping it for a back up trans.

good to know. and thanks for the info

Hi Guys

i would like to make my outback non-hydro clutch

making my outback Cable clutch instead. i really don't like the hydro clutch

its way to easy to press. i gotta put pressure on it

and i rearranged the decals on the hatch. moved outback to the left and moved the awd up with out putting the legacy Decal back on.

Reason: to look like the 2000 Outback :cool:

HPIM6886.jpg

HPIM6887.jpg

HPIM6888.jpg

Added 16 Valve Decals from a Pontiac Grand Damn :lol:.

HPIM6880.jpg

HPIM6875.jpg

Another thing to note about the legacy transmission. It will most likely have a 3.9 front diff whereas your outback almost certainly has a 4.11. So if you want to swap them you have to change the rear diff as well. Also the legacy tranny has a longer 5th gear than the outback.

Another thing to note about the legacy transmission. It will most likely have a 3.9 front diff whereas your outback almost certainly has a 4.11. So if you want to swap them you have to change the rear diff as well. Also the legacy tranny has a longer 5th gear than the outback.

i never looked at that. my outback i have no idea what it has. the rear diff sticker is gone.

my 91 legacy had a 4.11 Ratio so wouldn't a 98 be also ?

i like 3.90 Gear ratio better BTW. and i dunno what would be best for winter 3.90 or 4.11 ?

thanks for reminding me man.

In the winter I'd prefer the 4.11 because trying to go slow in snow, getting un-stuck, etc. But 3.9 is gonna be better for the highway. I prefer the longer 5th in the legacy tranny though. I'm not completely sure that the 98 is a 3.9, but my 96 is. They had a few different setups, easiest to just check the sticker.

Your OB DOES have 4.11 though.

In the winter I'd prefer the 4.11 because trying to go slow in snow, getting un-stuck, etc. But 3.9 is gonna be better for the highway. I prefer the longer 5th in the legacy tranny though. I'm not completely sure that the 98 is a 3.9, but my 96 is. They had a few different setups, easiest to just check the sticker.

Your OB DOES have 4.11 though.

my 91 legacy with 4.11 did awesome in the Snow.

i figured the outback had 4.11 because it takes off easy like the 91 legacy does.

I'll check tomorrow if i don't forget. I'll be sure to report back and if i get pictures i'll post them.

-John