Ultimate Subaru Message Board

987687 is your legacy automatic or standard ?

ok i checked and no Sticker ! :mad:

so i have no idea what the legacy has ?!

any other way to tell ?

99 outback 5 speed IS a 4.11 final drive.

95 - 99 legacy 2.2L 5 speed IS 3.9 final drive.

90 - 94 legacy non-turbo 5 speed is PROBABLY 4.11, turbo is PROBABLY 3.9.

what year legacy trans?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

987687 is your legacy automatic or standard ?

ok i checked and no Sticker ! :mad:

so i have no idea what the legacy has ?!

any other way to tell ?

Mine is a stick. Every auto I've met is a 4.44 in the EJ world.

After what johnceggleston posted confirms what I said about the legacy being 3.9. The GT though will probably be 4.11 ...

There's also a thread on here, or maybe elsewhere on the net that has the tranny number and what gearset, diff, etc it has.

update: more complete info.

96 - 99 2.5L outback, GT, and LSi 5 speed IS a 4.11 final drive.

95 - 99 legacy 2.2L 5 speed IS 3.9 final drive. (except 96 2.2L outback which is has an outback final drive.)

what year legacy trans?

Edited by johnceggleston

update: more complete info.

96 - 99 2.5L outback, GT, and LSi 5 speed IS a 4.11 final drive.

95 - 99 legacy 2.2L 5 speed IS 3.9 final drive. (except 96 2.2L outback which is has an outback final drive.)

what year legacy trans?

1998 legacy Manual

and my outback is

1999 Manual

now I'm on to fixing the oil Leak.

my outback is leaking oil out the front and rear. goes onto the exhaust and burns off.

a common problem i have heard from many. local wrecking yards and few other people. guy at the gas station said there a seal on the back that needs replaced.

i wanna confirm what it is before i spend my Subaru Funds on it.

Video Soon:

You more than likely, have a leak of the oil seperator plate. That is on the back of the engine and requires removal of the engine for repair. It could be the rear main, but I doubt it. The front could be the front main or the cam seals. A common leak is at the valve covers. If you really want to fix it right, pull the engine and do a reaseal of the major gaskets. Not fun, but not that bad either. A weekend project.

If the leak isn't that bad you can build a diverter to keep the oil off the exhaust. I worked on a car that had one on it and the guy's father had made it out of a soda can and bolted it on the front of the engine crossmember to keep the oil from working it's way onto the CAT.

Have fun

i know its not the valve covers. they are still Bone Dry.

i figured engine removal would be required. i just need to know were its leaking exactly so i can find the gaskets for it.

i cant fix it right now i have to wait till the weekend.

You more than likely, have a leak of the oil seperator plate. That is on the back of the engine and requires removal of the engine for repair. It could be the rear main, but I doubt it. The front could be the front main or the cam seals. A common leak is at the valve covers. If you really want to fix it right, pull the engine and do a reaseal of the major gaskets. Not fun, but not that bad either. A weekend project.

If the leak isn't that bad you can build a diverter to keep the oil off the exhaust. I worked on a car that had one on it and the guy's father had made it out of a soda can and bolted it on the front of the engine crossmember to keep the oil from working it's way onto the CAT.

Have fun

Cleaned up the GT Rims and Repainted them.

flat black to Gloss Black. i may ad White or Maybe Red.

from this

HPIM6967.jpg

to this

HPIM6968.jpg

other shots

HPIM6969.jpg

HPIM6972.jpg

HPIM6973.jpg

HPIM6978.jpg

HPIM6965.jpg

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I see some oil on the filter and that tells me that there is a leak in the front of the engine. That can easily get oil blown back and on to the exhaust. Get the car up on ramps and look at the back side of the oil pan. If you see that it is wet with oil up near the mating surface, you most likey have the seperator plate issue. Unless you are doing the job yourself, it is going to be an expensive repair. Engine removal is required and that gets pricey. If yo do it yourself, get the updated plate from Subaru and the new bolts to go with it. Use a good RTV and it will be done. Check the rear main for wetness. If it is dry, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Then fix the fromt leaks and you should be good to go.

i know its leaking upfront. my father said the same thing. it could running back to the exhaust and burning off.

I'm gonna get a price check on the front crank seal later today. i hope that is the problem. love the power of the 2.5L :)

I see some oil on the filter and that tells me that there is a leak in the front of the engine. That can easily get oil blown back and on to the exhaust. Get the car up on ramps and look at the back side of the oil pan. If you see that it is wet with oil up near the mating surface, you most likey have the seperator plate issue. Unless you are doing the job yourself, it is going to be an expensive repair. Engine removal is required and that gets pricey. If yo do it yourself, get the updated plate from Subaru and the new bolts to go with it. Use a good RTV and it will be done. Check the rear main for wetness. If it is dry, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Then fix the fromt leaks and you should be good to go.

I would replace the front main seal, reseal the oil pump and check the screws on the backing plate of the oil pump. I would also replaced the cam seals if they are leaking. you are in there so you might as well do it all at once.

i just bought the front Seal for $11.99 at local advance auto parts store.

wish i would have read that before i left (homer Simpson - doh!)

I'm Not Happy with my Outback Right Now.

check the oil and it only had a drip on the stick.

every where i got smoke roll's from under the car. police stopped and asked if everything was ok. i replied yeah why ?. and he sais your car is smoking.

i told him i know it has an oil leak. all he said is get it fixed. (thought to my self) if i knew were and what was leaking.

threw in my last qrt of 5w-30 runs $7 a qrt :mad:

so I'm not happy with my outback :mad:

what all rear seals and from seals should i replace ?. previous owner said the front cam seal is new.

should i fix the engine ? or should i just get a 2.2L ?!

The motor honey thickens the oil and I think you are going to have to use it with every oil change. If you are good with that, then go for it.

If I was going to reseal the motor, I would put in a new rear main(if leaking) fix the oil seperator plate and do the valve cover seals too. That should take car of the biggest part of the problem.

The motor honey thickens the oil and I think you are going to have to use it with every oil change. If you are good with that, then go for it.

If I was going to reseal the motor, I would put in a new rear main(if leaking) fix the oil separator plate and do the valve cover seals too. That should take car of the biggest part of the problem.

OK. the vale cover seals are new and they don't leak.

hmm oil separator plate ? i'll have to look that up.

I'm fine with motor honey till i get the money to repair all the seals that require engine removal.