Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My friend is looking at a 92 Legacy Sedan, 5MT, with 101k miles on it. Just from the test drive the CVs seem to work correctly, the tranny shifts smoothly into every gear, and the engine pulls strong. I will get a chance to take a better look at the heads and CVs on Friday, just to check for oil leakage from the heads and cracks in the CV boots. Another friend who thinks he's all up on Subaru just because he had to replace the CV joints once thinks that a little dried oil on the undercarriage is indicative of a problem, but I think not. Are there any glaring issues with this MY that need to be checked? Otherwise the car seems perfectly sorted and in better condition than my 94 Subie 4AT, and a lot more vigorous.

you will typically get some oil seapage from the right rear cam o-ring, oil filler o-ring, and the valve cover gasket bolt grommets. Very simple, easy, and cheap to replace. Those are the big oil leaker spots.....so if you see oil around those spots, I wouldn't be too worried

Of all the Subies I have owned past and present, nothing comes close to the reliability of the '92 Turbo sedan. We've driven it about 100,000 miles now (bought it with about 90,000 on it already) and have had no major problem. Replaced cooling compressor and front rotors, the only other complaint is that on very cold days the engine doesn't turn over unless you hold the key for about 30-60 seconds. Maybe trouble in the ignition switch. Not very often, just one of those minor nuisances.

The 2.2 engines are fantastic.

Originally posted by 4FOR4

...the only other complaint is that on very cold days the engine doesn't turn over unless you hold the key for about 30-60 seconds.

Sounds like the solenoid contacts on the starter may need to be replaced. My '87 wagon had that problem. Got to be a real pain at -20 below.

Edit. Typed faster than brain worked.