Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej255/ej257 engine and transmission weight

mindy1701

Hi

Does anyone have idea how much an ej255 engine and Manual transmission weighs?

I'm looking for power plant/Drive train for a mid engine sand rail.

Something in the 230-300Hp range.

I’m looking at the ej255 or ej257 setups but I don’t have any idea what weight of them are.

Anyone have a idea what the weight of these parts are ?

Also it's going to be rear wheel drive only so I would like to remove the front differential and associated running gear. (Less Weight and things to wear out.)

Does anyone know if this can be done or is there some dependency in the tranny for it to exist?

Thanks

Mindy

Hi This is Jerry, i have a 96 kouki 2.0 twin turbo engine and tranny everything is there to do this project. It comes with complete engine with the inner cooler the ac pump the alt. the power steering pump the front axles the strater the Y pipe the wiring with the computer the fuel pump and i have an extra tranny and rear end for it. If you are interested in it call me 1-509-952-2855 i live in Selah Washington not that far away. Thanks Jerry

You should keep all the extra bits in the transmission, it keeps it happy, and plugs up some of the holes that would otherwise leak.

As far as weight, I'd venture to guess probably around 250-300 kitted out for the engine, and probably 150-175 for the transmission, 5 speed manual, the auto will be about 50 pounds heavier.

you'd have to weld up the spiders on the center diff to use an EJ trans.

Or possibly stuffing S/R guts and tailsection from an EA into an EJ case.

EJ engine and trans will weight about 650 lbs. with all intake, exhaust manifold, and fluids.