Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 Brat wont start in the heat!

So my Brat has decided that it doesn't like to start in the heat, and I am at a loss as to what it could be. It seems more like a loss of spark than anything. I initially thought vapor lock, but when I dumped some gas down its gullet it did not respond. Could it be the coil? Some sort of temp sensor? I'm at a loss, any advice/suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

If you are hearing the starter clicking but not turning then maybe the starter solenoid is on its way out.

If so, try tapping on the starter solenoid with a hammer (lightly) before trying to crank it.

Just my 2 cents... good luck & keep updating this thread.... I am sure others will have more input to provide.

thanks for your input. It cranks, and smells of gas. Pulled the plugs, cranked it and couldn't see any spark. Could be that its broad daylight out though, and I am not so desperate yet to hold on to the plug to find out...but yeah, it has me stumped. All I can think is it is some electrical gremlin upset by the heat, but idk.

Carb leaking down? Or perhaps the gas is boiling in the carb bowl (especially if you're running gas that has ethanol or alcohol in it). Try depressing the pedal to the floor twice (don't pump, just two strong full depressions) and see if it starts any easier.

Make sure you aren't concluding it wont start because its hot.

If you floor it does it backfire or anything?

Take a spark plug and plug it into one of the spark plug wires and lay it on solid metal and then watch it.

Id probably start with the coil if it isn't getting spark. You can test one with a volt meter.

Thanks guys, I was camping for the weekend but I am going to jump back on it today and see if I can't make some headway. I was kinda thinking maybe the coil, but then I had another thought, could it be something with the EGR and all the emissions garbage? I will check the coil first though.

So I got into it a little more last night. It is definitely a spark issue. The coil seems to be doing its job; rotor, cap, etc look good, as do the wires. I put a rebuilt distributor in about 6 weeks ago, is there a chance the ignitor is bad in the distributor? Any other ideas out there?

So I got into it a little more last night. It is definitely a spark issue. The coil seems to be doing its job; rotor, cap, etc look good, as do the wires. I put a rebuilt distributor in about 6 weeks ago, is there a chance the ignitor is bad in the distributor? Any other ideas out there?

If it was running ok after you installed the rebuilt disty, I think you can rule out the ole' 180 degrees off issue. Yes, the ignitor may have gone south...

But a few questions come to mind...

Are the coil and disty the same brand? It is well documented here that a mix of hitachi coil/nippo disty or vice versa combo kills components. If this is the case your ignitor is most likely toasted.

Other questions...

While cranking what voltage are you reading off the battery? If it drops below 8v (iirc) it won't be hot enough for a spark. Basically this means a weak battery... charge it up or get a new one and try again

The plugs maybe fouled by gas... try a new plug when you pull the wire to check for spark.

Have you taken a voltmeter to the coil? Is there juice on the + and - side with ignition on?

While cranking, are there pulses on the neg side of the coil (test light helps here)? If you do have pulses on the neg side most likely you have an ignition amplifier issue.

Is the ign amplifier grounded properly? It wouldn't hurt to clean up all of your grounds anyway...

Have you tried a new high volt wire from coil to disty?

Sorry for the bundle of questions. I feel your pain. Hang in there...

Sorry guys, I have been away from the interwebs. The disty was bad. I had put in a A1 Cardone reman one, and well where the wires hook up to charge it, the original replacement was completely different that the new one that I just put in. I am going to guess that is the issue, but this hitachi-nippo thing has me interested. I will have to check into that and see if they're different. If so I'll have to come up with something different. Maybe its time for a Accel coil.

Thanks for the update! (i didn't get the subscribed-email-alert thingy on this one).

So is it up and running now? fixed?

btw, I would watch out for the Excel coil, based solely on the statistics posted here and other sites. They seem to be way too much overkill; however, my 84 was purchased with one (an excel coil matched with a ND disty) and it has been running like a champ for a 1 1/2 yrs now like that... so its really up to you what you want to throw money at and try. wires however... i personally have to recommend Subaru OEM without a doubt. Too may issues with other makes...

Sorry guys, I have been away from the interwebs. The disty was bad. I had put in a A1 Cardone reman one, and well where the wires hook up to charge it, the original replacement was completely different that the new one that I just put in. I am going to guess that is the issue, but this hitachi-nippo thing has me interested. I will have to check into that and see if they're different. If so I'll have to come up with something different. Maybe its time for a Accel coil.