Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ej25 sohc and dohc swaps??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tcellajr

tcellajr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • new jersey

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

hi all i have a 2001 subaru forister with the 2.5 sohc with 165k. it tossed a rod out of the blue?? i found a 1999 outback with a 2.5 dohc. can i use the eng in my forister if i swap the heads??

#2 tcellajr

tcellajr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • new jersey

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

basicly are 99 dohc and 01 sohc 25 shortblocks the same?? any help would be verry appreciated, thanks tom

#3 tcellajr

tcellajr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • new jersey

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

anyone???

#4 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

I don't think they are. I was talking to a subaru mechanic a few weeks ago and he has mocked up intake adapters to make the switch.

I have a 99 2.5 SOHC engine I pulled out of the yard. It has 140K on it. $350+shipping.

You may fine one close by - www.car-part.com

#5 tcellajr

tcellajr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • new jersey

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

think the short block is the same and i could use my intake and heads?? cant find anything online for a reasonable price?? thanks tom

#6 Mike104

Mike104

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • N KY

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

short block should essentially be the same, swap heads and intake/exhaust you should be good to go. There are some difference between the crankshaft/camshaft sensors as some use a different number of keys. Just make sure everything looks the same on the crank and cam shaft sprockets. There are some threads on here about doing that change over.

#7 tcellajr

tcellajr

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • new jersey

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

good, you think i can just swap the crank sensor??

#8 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

I used a DOHC block to build a SOHC motor for a friend of mine and it runs like a champ. Go for it and good Luck

#9 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

I had to use a 2000 2.5 SOHC Lego block and put the intake and stuff off a 99 2.5 SOHC Forester on it. The only real issue I had is the timing belts are different by a couple of teeth.

But I was swapping in the new block and heads. It was all SOHC.

#10 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

hi all i have a 2001 subaru forister with the 2.5 sohc with 165k. it tossed a rod out of the blue?? i found a 1999 outback with a 2.5 dohc. can i use the eng in my forister if i swap the heads??

It will work. I've done it. The shape of the pistons are different and it will drop the compression. But it runs normally. Use 99 head gasket to ensure proper piston to head clearance.

#11 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • columbus

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

There is a chart out there that ive come across with all the variations of blocks and heads. has compression ratios etc. also tells which ones are the "best" choice.
360, if you use the dohc gaskets will you run into the phase 2 oil seepage issue or the phase 1 overheating issue ?

#12 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I use the updated gaskets from Subaru. They have no leakage or overheating issues anymore.

#13 logic23

logic23

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • columbus

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

Thats good to know. On a similar thread have you built a 2.2 with 2.5 heads? I heard they are peppy.

#14 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Thats good to know. On a similar thread have you built a 2.2 with 2.5 heads? I heard they are peppy.

No, but I've done a EJ22E with EJ205 WRX heads. Came out really nice.

#15 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:22 AM

Use the SOHC gaskets and you will be fine. There is plenty of clearance and you will end up with a tad more compression. The engine I built was nice and peppy and my buddy is very happy with it. Be sure to rebuild the oil pump while you are there and you won't have to deal with it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users