Ultimate Subaru Message Board

short block should essentially be the same, swap heads and intake/exhaust you should be good to go. There are some difference between the crankshaft/camshaft sensors as some use a different number of keys. Just make sure everything looks the same on the crank and cam shaft sprockets. There are some threads on here about doing that change over.

I had to use a 2000 2.5 SOHC Lego block and put the intake and stuff off a 99 2.5 SOHC Forester on it. The only real issue I had is the timing belts are different by a couple of teeth.

But I was swapping in the new block and heads. It was all SOHC.

hi all i have a 2001 subaru forister with the 2.5 sohc with 165k. it tossed a rod out of the blue?? i found a 1999 outback with a 2.5 dohc. can i use the eng in my forister if i swap the heads??

It will work. I've done it. The shape of the pistons are different and it will drop the compression. But it runs normally. Use 99 head gasket to ensure proper piston to head clearance.

There is a chart out there that ive come across with all the variations of blocks and heads. has compression ratios etc. also tells which ones are the "best" choice.

360, if you use the dohc gaskets will you run into the phase 2 oil seepage issue or the phase 1 overheating issue ?

Use the SOHC gaskets and you will be fine. There is plenty of clearance and you will end up with a tad more compression. The engine I built was nice and peppy and my buddy is very happy with it. Be sure to rebuild the oil pump while you are there and you won't have to deal with it later.