Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jeep problem-need advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twowagons

Twowagons

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Montgomery

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the cooling (electric) fan won't run, various opinions have been cooling sensor, thermostat, resistor?? Fuse is good I checked that. Hear is what happened the temp gauge went from 210 degrees(normal) up to 240,then the check engine light came on,A/C started blowing warm air, I was at an idle with A/C on. I turned off A/C and jeep and let it sit for awhile. Temp went back to normal,light stayed on. Drove Jeep for 30 miles, light went off and A/C blowing cold again.The fan does NOT come on when A/C is on and I think it is supposed to, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated I can't afford a mechanic right now. Thanks in advance, Trudy

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  • KY

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

The fan should work when the AC is on.

When the AC was blowing hot air this means it wasn't engaged. System could be low on refrigerant or the AC compressor could have gone off line because of the underhood temperature. Don't quote me on this but I think the compressor has a thermoswitch somewhere. When the compressor gets too hot, the switch turns off the compressor. I know my wagon will do this on very hot days and when I sit for 30 or more minutes with the engine just idling.

The fan has to have a relay somewhere. It may be failing.

Easy way to determine if the fan has not failed is to unplug it and then run 12volts to one side and ground the other. If the fan turns then you know it is not the problem.

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

lots of things run the fan.
if you hook the two wire leads as said, and fan turns on and runs, then you know its a sensor or relay or fuse
There is a thermoswitch on your block
there s a temp sensor on your radiator.
then you have the relays
usually the thermoswitch goes haywire first, or you have fuses blown. check under the hood in fusebox, and check in compartment block of fuses. there may be 2 fuses for the fans

#4 Twowagons

Twowagons

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Montgomery

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

Thank you both, I will check those things first and let you know what I find.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

I think this fan is operated by the ECU. IUf this is true there is an aftermarket thermoswitch that can be purchased that just senses the temp of the radiator and turns on the fan.

It is not unusual for this type of fan control to go bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users