Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FINALLY!! found the one I've been looking for.

obk25xt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MOAR PROGRESS!!

Installed engine today with the help of Wentz..... Also installed intake manifold and phenolic spacers.... Also switched back to the clear(er) corner lights. Next will be the power steering/alternator/AC compressor. After that the cooling system. Followed by a driveline, then to the exhaust shop, then hopefully it won't be long after that to get the harness installed and all the bugs worked out.......

Hope to make it to WCSS this year......

On a sidenote, my goal was to make it last year, with this car, completed...... :rolleyes:

PICS>>>

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

Sweet ride!

I have to say though, that if this is a highway car your gonna be disappointed with the 4.11 trans, espescially if it's from an Outback(geared for bigger tires). I have a 4.11 AWD in my wagon. With 195/65/15 tires, the gearing is still too low, both in first and second and for freeway.

Your car is lowered, with smaller tires. With that small of a tire on the car, your gonna be wound out in first before you barely get moving. Lot's of quick shifts to stay in the right range. Highway cruising you'll be wound out to 4k or more.

Now, you could throw a 5th gear set from a WRX in it.....that would help.

Or like I'm doing, and go with a 3.9 AWD from a 97 Leg Brighton.

Sweet ride!

I have to say though, that if this is a highway car your gonna be disappointed with the 4.11 trans, espescially if it's from an Outback(geared for bigger tires). I have a 4.11 AWD in my wagon. With 195/65/15 tires, the gearing is still too low, both in first and second and for freeway.

Your car is lowered, with smaller tires. With that small of a tire on the car, your gonna be wound out in first before you barely get moving. Lot's of quick shifts to stay in the right range. Highway cruising you'll be wound out to 4k or more.

Now, you could throw a 5th gear set from a WRX in it.....that would help.

Or like I'm doing, and go with a 3.9 AWD from a 97 Leg Brighton.

Those tires are stock WRX sized tires. Which are just slightly larger overall than 175/70/13's.

I'm hoping to get an idea of the gearing with the 4.11 trans, and hopeful that it won't be too low with the 4.11's.

Because......

I have in the works a 1996 4.11 JDM WRX transmission that I intend to swap to 4.44, and put into a cable-clutch style trans case, depending on how short these gears are with the 4.11's. I have the 1-5 ratios written down somewhere, I'll edit them into this post in a few minutes. If I recall they are the same, except 5'th is a little taller than a USDM trans.

EDIT...... 5th is 0.825

Edited by obk25xt

If I recall they are the same, except 5'th is a little taller than a USDM trans.

EDIT...... 5th is 0.825

That's lower than 5th in most of the USDM 5spds.

My 96 outback trans is .780......and I'm still turning almost 4k to do 65

4.44's with that size tire...........??????

You'll spend more time shifting than laying down any power.

This is my fear.......

If it's geared good like this, then I will have some 4.44 r&p's for sale..... :rolleyes: I have them for a 5mt AND a rear diff, jus' sittin' on the shelf....

This is my fear.......

If it's geared good like this, then I will have some 4.44 r&p's for sale..... :rolleyes: I have them for a 5mt AND a rear diff, jus' sittin' on the shelf....

It'd be great to throw into a slightly larger size tired rig. Like outback, Forrester, or an Impreza sport with Forrester struts and 215/70/15:D

Or find a D/R fulltime RX trans and swap the lowershaft gearsets onto the 4.44 pinion and put it in a trail rig.

• 4 weeks later...

One-piece driveline is being made. All 100% new parts, with serviceable/replaceable u-joints. Also, Getting the inlet/outlet on a 2-row turbo radiator replaced with larger ones to fit the EJ water piping. Making some headway, slow and steady, until this thing hits the pavement.... Then it'll be fast and, umm, steady......

• 2 weeks later...

Driveline made, turbo radiator is having 1.5" inlet/outlet brazed onto it. Soon I'll do shift linkage and finish the exhaust. Then it's alternator, PS pump, AC comp, and install wiring. Hope to be at WCSS this year......

Driveline and radiator installed! Upper radiator hose figured out and installed as well. Will do thermostat, water neck and lower hose next week. Picked up a PS pump, and will bend the EJ lines to fit next week also. Shift linkage to come soon. Then it's alternator, EJ swap harness, some guage work, exhaust, and.... FIRST FIRE!!!!! Hoping to accomplish that before independence day.....

• 2 weeks later...

Umm ok...... All that's left now is exhaust from the midpipe back, install an alternator, and merge the harnesses (which will be done by general disorder). This thing has fluids in it folks, it's *that* close!!!!! If I knew how to upload pics off this silly iPhone I'd get some on here so there'd be some eye candy too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. The car is now in Rick's possession. Which means one thing. When it's done, it will be right. I'm hopeful the next time I see the car I will be getting into it and driving it home. I will update here with butt dyno results when they are available. :headbang:

Edited by obk25xt

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some pics.... FINALLY, got a new computer so I can do the pic thing again.....

This is where the air goes in.....

IMG_0126.jpg

And this is where it comes out again.....

IMG_0112.jpg

Haha Back on the tow dolly again! This time for waaayyyyyy better reasons :cool:.....

IMG_0198.jpg

That exhaust is the Tsudo header/cat pipe, right? Did you have to do anything to get it to fit? I've been thinking of ordering one for the PandaWagon.

No didn't have any "real" fitment issues other than clearance around the oil filter. I ended up getting one for a 2003 wrx if I remember right and it is a smaller diameter and has clearance around the primary tubes.

• 1 month later...
Any updates?

:popcorn:

I've been pushing $$ across the table..... And being patient.... I know it's in the garage and that means it's that much closer to being on the road. I'm hopeful to be able to get a lil dry weather drive time, but we'll see...

Trust me, no one wants to see this done more than I do. I haven't driven a Subaru in over a year..... Almost makes me a lil sick.....