Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just purchased a 1987 GL-10 Wagon and need help.

Just purchased a faded but extremely solid and straight 1987 GL-10 Wagon. It already has a D/R 5 speed swapped in place of the automatic and has a home made 1.5 inch lift and custom front bumper. I'm new to Subarus and still pretty new to this site, and I need a little help getting this car ready to relatively regular use by me and my wife. I'm hoping some folks here can help me with the following, I do have some money to invest in what will be our offroading, camping, and extreme winter weather vehicle (I just sold my '98 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 so I could do this).

1. Temp climbs up to red (digital dash) and then drops back to mid level after being on red for a few seconds, even sitting at idle. I've already found that the electric radiator fan is not coming on. I want to wire the fan so it comes on and stays on as long as the car is running, what it is easiest and safest way to do that?

2. This ties into number 1, I also would like to change the radiator to a dual row/core. What is the easiest way to tell if I have a two or one row/core radiator? Where is the best and most affordable source for a new two row/core radiator? (I also plan on a new OEM Subaru thermostat.)

3. I'd like to replace the home made 1.5 inch lfit with a 3 inch lift to better clear the 225-70-R14 tires. I've been considering the SJR kit, but that doesn't include a method to extend the steering shaft. Any recommendations? Is there an easy way to extend the steering shaft so I can use the SJR kit?

4. I want the car to last a long time and some one along the line removed the inner fenders, any one have a pair I could score? Will the tires clear the inner fenders with the 3 inch lift and 27 inch tires?

5. The wheels on the car are 6x140mm bolt pattern re-drilled to 4x140mm and whoever did it didn't do the best job. I would feel better having my hubs and rotors (4 wheel disc brakes) modified to 6x140mm bolt pattern. Any one have any spare hubs they'd like to sell?

Thanks every one in advance for your help.

Radiator in the car is a two row if it has never been changed because of it being a turbo.

Temperature problem is almost certainly a leaking head gasket, passenger side.

Nice looking old wagon.

Someone in Wisconsin or Michigan just a few days ago offered for free a good turbo engine. May want to hook up with him.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=941324#post941324

Edited by john in KY

Welcome! If you find your way into Milwaukee, you should stop by.

The car would have a 2-row from the factory being turbo. I would go with a new thermostat and waterpump, as the car will only be as reliable as the cooling system.

Where did you get the car? It's pretty clean for a wisconsin car, unless it came from somewhere else.

If you ever need to do the head gaskets on this car, i can help you as i have done no end of them.

I encourage you to catch up to the milwaukee old-school crowd (Subaru Alliance) on any given weekend. you can keep up with us on http://www.dirtyimpreza.com for weekend meets

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14090

Hey, Dunno if you got my reply PM. I can stop out any time and check out ur car. Let me know when you are free. :)

As for the temp, sounds maybe like a HG. I would swap out the Thermo for a Genuine one first and see how the temp reacts. Could be the Thermo sticking closed at times.

Fox, He imported this car from NC. Scott posted a picture of this car once ironically.

Just purchased a faded but extremely solid and straight 1987 GL-10 Wagon. It already has a D/R 5 speed swapped in place of the automatic and has a home made 1.5 inch lift and custom front bumper. I'm new to Subarus and still pretty new to this site, and I need a little help getting this car ready to relatively regular use by me and my wife. I'm hoping some folks here can help me with the following, I do have some money to invest in what will be our offroading, camping, and extreme winter weather vehicle (I just sold my '98 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 so I could do this).

1. Temp climbs up to red (digital dash) and then drops back to mid level after being on red for a few seconds, even sitting at idle. I've already found that the electric radiator fan is not coming on. I want to wire the fan so it comes on and stays on as long as the car is running, what it is easiest and safest way to do that?

2. This ties into number 1, I also would like to change the radiator to a dual row/core. What is the easiest way to tell if I have a two or one row/core radiator? Where is the best and most affordable source for a new two row/core radiator? (I also plan on a new OEM Subaru thermostat.)

3. I'd like to replace the home made 1.5 inch lfit with a 3 inch lift to better clear the 225-70-R14 tires. I've been considering the SJR kit, but that doesn't include a method to extend the steering shaft. Any recommendations? Is there an easy way to extend the steering shaft so I can use the SJR kit?

4. I want the car to last a long time and some one along the line removed the inner fenders, any one have a pair I could score? Will the tires clear the inner fenders with the 3 inch lift and 27 inch tires?

5. The wheels on the car are 6x140mm bolt pattern re-drilled to 4x140mm and whoever did it didn't do the best job. I would feel better having my hubs and rotors (4 wheel disc brakes) modified to 6x140mm bolt pattern. Any one have any spare hubs they'd like to sell?

Thanks every one in advance for your help.

1) I'd check the actual temps you are getting with an infrared thermometer. If it's cooling back down after spiking, sounds like a sticky thermostat.

2) Dunno...but it's apparently stock from a previous response. Save some dough and have a good radiator shop re-core it.

3) Use a combo of steering knuckles from a junkyard after the lift is installed. Others have done this to avoid welding such a critical part. Maybe an outback knuckle+ the stock one?

4) Junkyard again for the plastic liners, unless someone local has 'em. You will need to trim your fenders for 27's, but probably not much. Cut 1/2" long and roll them over with a hammer, so they don't cut your tires.

5) You can mod the hubs yourself pretty easily if you search around here, or "The Beast I Drive" does this service.

Nice rig...enjoy!!!

As for the fan not kicking on, sounds like it could be the temp sender (The one which tells the fan to kick on) if I'm not mistaken there are two temp senders, one for the gauge and the other is for the fan (I could be wrong on that)

Also keep in mind, dropping the crossmember for a 3" lift (You'd be dropping the engine crossmember 1" or 2") your gonna need to make your brake lines longer. You will also be dropping the rear diff down for a 3". You could just get a 2" kit like Scott and I did. Buy one from Bill "The Beast I Drive" as his is was cheeper then Scotts "Scott In Bellingham/SJR" kit.

Theres a Blue EA82 wagon out at Al's salvage off hy36. you could pull the liners and anything else off it. And yes, the tires will clear the liners just fine (Even with out a lift) but you will need to trim the front-most and rear-most lips on the front fenders to clear the tire while turning.

Sure, I'm always game for walking around a bone yard. I have a tool box full'o subaru wrenchin' tools in my car (Metric) :D

Hell, want to go to Auto Al's with me then on Saturday? I haven't been there in a few months, but I've been going there with my dad since I was 14 years old. He's been going there since 1960.

Fox, He imported this car from NC. Scott posted a picture of this car once ironically.

yeah, i did, i want to have relations with that front bumper:eek::lol::banana:

should stop by some time dude! i'd love to steal it, i mean see it in person. haha. (no, im not going to steal your bumper :))

damn you guys! its my goal in life to pocket everything from that car and rebuild it in my garage.

Tom.. if you go out there. can you grab the button covers from the left side dash, the 3 way cover and the 2 covers next to it with the defrst button? it should fit in your tool box.

(i dont really condone stealing, but that guy asks WAY to much for ************. Tom you know what im talkin bout.)

Which guy, Boomer or Norm. Boomer always asks too much, but Norm always gives me a good deal. Like I said, I've been going there for 14 years now with my dad. We talk Norm down as much as possible and then throw him an extra $10 and tell him to have a couple of beers on us. The next time we're out, the prices are even lower.

Which guy, Boomer or Norm. Boomer always asks too much, but Norm always gives me a good deal. Like I said, I've been going there for 14 years now with my dad. We talk Norm down as much as possible and then throw him an extra $10 and tell him to have a couple of beers on us. The next time we're out, the prices are even lower.

not sure who.. he's the taller younger guy. woudlnt budge under $800 for a 98 Impreza w/ 300k on it that needed headgaskets. :/ sayin that they could get more than that in the yard...

then i see the car with its windows open from being transported via forklift with the interior all soaked from a rainstorms and such. i think it'll be in there for a while. The body on the car was pretty good, i kinda feel bad that i wasnt able to take it off of them before it went to the yard.

anyways.... thats my yard of choice too, i usually pay what he asks if its not too crazy. we been goin there for ever too, probably since i was 16 so, bout 15-16 yrs as well. i dunno why, i just like the place. i'd sit there and dissasemble all their cars if i could LOL!

Scott, sure I can grab those.

I dunno who has was, he had dark short hair - in his 30s. He charged me $25 for a Legacy grille, I'm like really - I'm the only guy thats gonna buy this so why not drop the price, if I walk you just lost the sale for that item.

But at least you can walk around unlike most these yards.

Let me know what you guys end up doing this weekend with yard runs, etc.

I still have a box of random ea82 parts and a complete gl-10 dashboard. I probably have some steering knuckles laying around, and still have a front axle that is rebuildable.

off topic kinda... i'll be tied up til atleast 6pm at work saturday, and i have to work sunday as well. im lame this weekend. :mad:

fox, what are those bearings that you said might be lookin to get replaced on my tranny? on the output shaft? output shaft bearings?

I know Jon wants to pull some inner fender walls (Plastic insert) and whatever else.

I'm just going and might pull some random things that I know you don't have Fox. I want to see if any of those 2nd gen Legacys they have, have the (Optional) tweeter speakers in the door. And anything else I may find. I'm gonna come out by you later saturday shoot the breaze and whatnot, have a hootinanny hoot!

When do you want to get cracking on that XT6 "Monster"

Let me know what you guys end up doing this weekend with yard runs, etc.

I still have a box of random ea82 parts and a complete gl-10 dashboard. I probably have some steering knuckles laying around, and still have a front axle that is rebuildable.

Edited by TheLoyale

I know Jon wants to pull some inner fender walls (Plastic insert) and whatever else.

I'm just going and might pull some random things that I know you don't have Fox. I want to see if any of those 2nd gen Legacys they have, have the (Optional) tweeter speakers in the door. And anything else I may find. I'm gonna come out by you later saturday shoot the breaze and whatnot, have a hootinanny hoot!

When do you want to get cracking on that XT6 "Monster"

how much you get the headrests for by the way?

Thats the only homebuilt bumper on a soob I have ever really liked. Nice car. T stat for fan is threaded into radiator tank.

Yep bottom left (Facing engine) I was trying to show you but there was to much crap in the way Lol.

The other temp sender is up by your thermostat (Thats what controls the temp gauge) try cleaning those contacts for the hell of it as sometimes they get dirty/coroded.

Scott, yea I was shocked (Not the Shocker either) but he was in a good mood today, maybe he was having a bad do before.