Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had the lcoal SUB dealer reseal my 96 Outback, new head gaskets, exc...

In case anyone was wondering this was a $1200 job, that included new timing belt and water pump.

Anyway, we spoke a bit about the new coolant and it apparently will be treated as a recall for certain models, probably going back to the late 90's models, but I'm told not as far as my 96...

Meaning as I see it that this will be a freebie from Subaru.

Nice to see some action from the company......

Got the recall notice in the mail yesterday. Called the dealer today and was informed that they haven't got the sealant in yet.:rolleyes:

Was also told that the recall proceedure includes a system pressure check. I guess I'll be callin 'em back the middle of next week.

Originally posted by North Ursalia

$1.40. Subaru is kind enough to pick up the entire tab :D!

Thanks for the info; I stopped at a dealer to pick up some parts today and they didn't have it yet either.

Originally posted by cookie

I have already fitted the 03 version head gaskets. I wonder if I will need the goop a few years down the road.

Are the dealers replacing HGs with a re-engineered version? Mine were just done and I'm wondering the same thing... do I even need the stuff at all?

Originally posted by blitz

Was also told that the recall proceedure includes a system pressure check.

I had this done twice, same outside temperature conditions, at two different dealers. The first one told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong (even though I was smelling coolant) and charged me $16. I took it to another dealer with a case number from SOA. They found both gaskets leaking and told me there was no way that it should have been missed- I wonder if the first dealer even checked it out at all...

Originally posted by North Ursalia

$1.40. Subaru is kind enough to pick up the entire tab :D! We refer to it as "headgasket in a bottle" or "heater core stop heat" here at work.

I'm seriously wondering whether or not to take the vaccine. As far as I know, the warranty extension does not cover the heater core.

I'd like to hear some advice from the experts regarding the tradoff: e.g. paying out of pocket for headgaskets later v.s. paying out of pocket for a heater core R&R later.

around with a bit of stop leak added for years.

I think it might depend on the consistancy and amount of goop offered.

How well does it stay suspended until it has a pin hole to plug?

I think I'll watch for a while before I add it to mine. I don't think I am leaking at all right now so I can afford to wait.