Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So how did your brakes perform after driving from Menom Falls?

I think the issue should be resolved, that noise we do hear sounds like the rear brakes. I am betting the rear rotors are Warped and the pads have grooves in them causing the noise. Maybe some of them are chunking out.

I have a set of decent rear pads if they are the same style, which we should find out. I'll give them to ya when I see ya.

Wow that's cool re: rear pads, yeah that noise is annoying.

Odd thing: since doing all that to RF. That rotor looks like it has surface rust, as though the pads aren't gripping to wear it off?????? Wierd.

Was gonna pick up rear pads tomorow, will hold off till we see if yours will work.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe the caliper is stuck open? like the guide pins are binding and not allowing it to close?

Little late to reply there, hey Scott!? lol.

The Pistons press back into their bores and the caliper moves on the slide pins. It was like something was holding pressure or the pistons were getting stuck. I wonder if the Mechanic backed the Pistons out and damaged the cylenders somewhat to have a (Return customer or something) or it was just a defective Caliper.

The new one Kara got had a Fuji stamping on it!:banana:

maybe the caliper is stuck open? like the guide pins are binding and not allowing it to close?

Tom- Scott is referencing the post just before- (i don't know how to quote more than one in a post) "Odd thing-after new caliper, turned rotor looks like it has surface rust, as if pads aren't gripping to wear it off"

You mean the slides? Yes? Thing is, I kept the old bracket, just cleaned it up.

It appears to be an aftermarket bracket, as one of the slides that came w/ new caliper had a rubber tip on the end (same as stock/original left side) Where as the aftermarket bad caliper we took off had both slides the same (no rubber tip).

The one new slide w/tip, did not slide well in the old bracket, so we reused one of the old ones. They are lubed, and seem to move well.

Also, the new caliper came w/a little clip thingy-about the size (not shape) of a paperclip, but wider. We didn't know what to do with it, so it's sitting in a baggy, next to the computer. I will try to get a picture of it in an upcoming post.

It's a 1986, 305, Quadrajet, got it last May. (pretty clean for a WI car) Gave it all kinds of love... plugs,wires cap,rotor,rear springs,shocks, battery,exc.... was running weird...discovered cat was plugged, cut that off and temp. fix w/flex tube. Now having issues trying to get fuel filter to let loose. What engine do you have??? Quadrajet??? Hoping mine will be a driver real soon. As soon as I can get that fuel filter off, lookin at some new exhaust. Know what size fuel line is???(at filter) Metric??? 5/8 just the tiniest bit loose, I really need to ream on it, but don't want to strip it.

Kara,

I am sorry, I don't know what size of fuel line the quadrajets use. I do know that it is very easy to strip out the threads where the fuel line comes into the carb (where the filter is located). I would try soaking the threads with some good penetrating lube, like P.B. Blaster. My El Camino came with a 3.8 v6 that I replaced with a 350. My garb is currently a quadrajet, but I do have a Holley carb that I would like to replace it with.

Good luck on your fuel filter,

Kurt

OH!, hmm. Thats just strange. Maybe I can take a quick look at it when I pick you up. I will also give you those rear brake shoes. They are still useable, so it might save you a few bucks if they are the same style.

About Multi-quoting. Next to the "Quote" button, it also says "Multi" click that on each persons post you want to quote.

It will show up once you click "Reply"

Hope this helps.

Can we move this particular conversation (re:brake caliper) to my thread "Really bad steering shake" in new gen. area???

I posted pics of the "mystery clip" there. Thanks!

Edited by KaraK

Kara,

I am sorry, I don't know what size of fuel line the quadrajets use. I do know that it is very easy to strip out the threads where the fuel line comes into the carb (where the filter is located). I would try soaking the threads with some good penetrating lube, like P.B. Blaster. My El Camino came with a 3.8 v6 that I replaced with a 350. My garb is currently a quadrajet, but I do have a Holley carb that I would like to replace it with.

Good luck on your fuel filter,

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I have been using P.B. (alot) know about the stripping issue, that's why I'm being extra cautious. My buddy has some stuff called Gibbs, (apparently for firearms) (hard to find/expensive) but magic! I just have to convince him to let me borrow the can- may have to promise my firstborn as collateral :lol:

I have a 350 waiting in the wings, for when the 305 goes- Alot of people like those Holleys- but a properly tuned Quadrajet can be awesome...can't say mine is, but....

About Multi-quoting. Next to the "Quote" button, it also says "Multi" click that on each persons post you want to quote.

It will show up once you click "Reply"

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tom! I'll try that next time!

Also big thank you for showin me all the "picture stuff"!:grin:

pretty soon I'll be an expert!!!! :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a "big" friend over, he tried to loosen fuel line on El Camino, won't budge..

Convinced "other friend" to let me have a little "Gibbs" in the bottom of an empty spice container. If that doesn't work- I don't know- cut out the fuel line...:mad:

Had a "big" friend over, he tried to loosen fuel line on El Camino, won't budge..

Convinced "other friend" to let me have a little "Gibbs" in the bottom of an empty spice container. If that doesn't work- I don't know- cut out the fuel line...:mad:

Ok, what metals are we talking about here?

Standard steel line or brass?

And is the intake iron or aluminum?

As for just stuck threads, I recommenda good solid wrench some thwacking with a small-medium hammer.

Preferably a rubber mallet.

And if all else fails, cut it.

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
I'm an idiot.

Ok, what metals are we talking about here?

Standard steel line or brass?

And is the intake iron or aluminum?

As for just stuck threads, I recommenda good solid wrench some thwacking with a small-medium hammer.

Preferably a rubber mallet.

And if all else fails, cut it.

Twitch

It is steel line, going into a brass fitting that holds the filter, that then threads into the carb. Need to hold the brass fitting w/a 1" wrench, then turn out the steel fuel line. 5/8" wrench is just a smidge loose on the line, haven't tried pounding on a 15mm yet, but it may come to that. Like to try to avoid cutting the line but....

I've tapped it w/hammer, I tried putting a looooong pipe on the wrench.

:eek::mad::slobber::-\:banghead:

005.jpg

Edited by KaraK

just a suggestion, and not 100% sure you can get one that big - but a brake fitting wrench (flare wrench?) might "hold" a little better - less chance of rounding it off...

I know what you are talking about, In my circle, we call it a line wrench, (had to teach Tom that) The package says "flare nut wrench"..That's what I've been using. Someone suggested the El-cheapos I bought, may have "flexed" so I borrowed a "Matco" from my buddy-NO better.:-\

yeah, they have several "names", just depends on who you are talking to... it was just a suggestion...didnt know it had already been tried. :confused:

puzzling now - hmmm...how can we get that puppy loose without cutting anything???

do you have access to a good heat gun? if you could apply concentrated heat to the brass portion it might expand enough to break the steel fitting loose (shield the steel fitting so it doesnt heat up as fast)

normally i would use a torch for this sort of thing - but probably not a good idea on a carb! :lol::Flame:

yeah, they have several "names", just depends on who you are talking to... it was just a suggestion...didnt know it had already been tried. :confused:

puzzling now - hmmm...how can we get that puppy loose without cutting anything???

do you have access to a good heat gun? if you could apply concentrated heat to the brass portion it might expand enough to break the steel fitting loose (shield the steel fitting so it doesnt heat up as fast)

normally i would use a torch for this sort of thing - but probably not a good idea on a carb! :lol::Flame:

Thanks, I will try that-(can borrow one tonight)- heat gun not enough to make it go boom! ???? (the filter is in there) What do you suggest as a "shield" for the steel line??

SeaFoam or Pahbah it! As I think you did already.

yeah, that has been tried already from previous posts. :)

no the heat gun "shouldnt" make it go "BOOM" - think about the kind of heat that a running engine creates...

You shouldnt need to get it cherry hot (actually, would not be a good idea to do that) just "running engine" hot.

any piece of scrap metal large enough would help shield the steel fitting - use a pair of pliers & thick gloves to protect yourself from the heat. something about the size of a playing card at minimum should work

just to satisfy my curiousity - the thing wont run right now - correct? and that is why we are trying to do some work on it?

If it will run, start it up & get it good & warmed up, then try to bust that sucker free.

Edited by heartless

Thanks for the tips, will find a chunk of scrap when I go on my "borrowing" spree tonight.

No it is not running, hasn't run since last fall when I tried to move it from the garage to one of my sheds out back. It would start,(w/a squirt of go-juice) but not run. That led me to the filter, OR maybe, the fuel pump (which I plan to check when/if I get this fu**in filter off.

Thanks for the tips, will find a chunk of scrap when I go on my "borrowing" spree tonight.

No it is not running, hasn't run since last fall when I tried to move it from the garage to one of my sheds out back. It would start,(w/a squirt of go-juice) but not run. That led me to the filter, OR maybe, the fuel pump (which I plan to check when/if I get this fu**in filter off.

If all else fails, before cutting, latch a giant pipe wrench onto that puppy and

pull!

You may need to buy a new fitting, but at least it'll come off.

Twitch