Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Awww Yeah(some questions added)

Well, after about $1400 and a few weeks of work, Roxanne has be reunited with her original and now rebuilt engine. We finally fired it up tonight at about ten thirty PM. Much to my amazement, I had the timing and everything right, and she started right up. The oil pressure is good considering that I ony resealed the old pump and didn't get a new one, and there are still a couple lifters clacking, but that should go away after a bit. The only real issue to be dealt with is that the cooling system still has some nasty air bubbles in it or something. So far, coolant hasn't started flowing through the radiator. Luckily, the heater blower on high kept the engine in the safe temp range. By tomorrow, we should have the cooling system air-free, the timing nailed down, and the Weber tuned up nicely. I'll definitely get some pictures, as even though the engine bay is still kinda dirty, the engine looks quite nice right now.

I do have one question though. I can't seem to be able to get the inspection plate on that bolts to the bottom of the flywheel housing. Do I need to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine and tranny, or is there some trick to this?

I did put in a new thermostat, although I didn't test it before installation. It's probably a huge air pocket in the thermostat housing that's preventing flow, which probably will have eliminated itself by now after sitting overnight.

I forgot that the inspection plate has been off for like two years. I'm just worried about the clutch housing filling up with mud and water. I think I'll jack it up and install the plate just for peace of mind.

Can't wait for the lift!

Okay, got some more questions. I checked the cam timing, and the drivers side cam was off a tooth. She runs much much better now. Actually has some power, although I haven't really gotten on it in the powerband yet since it's getting broken in right now. However, there is still an occasional backfire when shifting. What might be the culprit?

Also, with changing to higher performance cams, is it possible that my engine will want some more ignition timing advance? She tends to miss a bit until the advance starts to come in now. I currently have it set at around 12 or 13 degrees static timing, but the vacuum advance bumps it up closer to 18-20 at idle and slightly above, and it runs a heck of a lot better with more advance. I'm just worried that I could get detonation if I run this kind of timing advance? Any ideas other than trial and error experimentation?

Backfire between shifts could be something as simple as an exhaust leak...especially in cold weather

Do a quick search for the leads torxxx gave you.. thats ringing a bell in my empty head.. but not being much of a carb guy, I couldn't explain it to you if I tried.. seems sometime in the past, Qman gave some good info on it though.

Update:

Plugged off the ASV system: no more backfire

Bumped up the timing a couple more degrees: More power and smoother, still no detonation yet, so I'll go a little more when I get the time (ha ha ha... not funny). I'm pretty sure that the more agressive cam profile just demands earlier ignition timing to run right and reach it's full power potential, so more experimentation is on the way.

The rings seem to be seating well, and the lifter tick went away on its own. No other strange noises or anything. It seems like my rebuild might actually be considered a success at this point, knock on wood.

Oh yeah, I was able to torque all the head bolts in the car, but it was an extreme excercise in masochism.