Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 xmission Q's, Part 2

OK, now that I'm sure about the years/ ratios, how do I identify one from the other? Are there numbers somewhere on the body of the unit identifying the model year?

Assume the transmission has been removed, and there are several to choose from.

the '82 tranny has a smaller input shaft, and smaller throw out bearing & holder.

SubaruBrat might be able to help you. I believe he has/had several backup trannies. he also had a piece milled to fit the larger TO bearing onto the smaller '82 bearing holder (I think it's how he did it), to account for the larger pressure plate 83+

Hhhmmm - yeah - the input shaft thing..... ya know, I never noticed that. Are you talking about just the tip where it slides into the flywheel? Cause I swapped that 84 2WD tranny into the 84 DL wagon, which had an 82 D/R in it prior, and then put that 82 D/R in my 84 wagon with both a 2WD, and then now a 4WD clutch.... and everything has just fit together. Have I been way lucky or something? I did notice a bearing on a JY flywheel that had a larger opening that was too big for an 82 D/R shaft..... man I am totally confused now.

GD

Your clutch pedal may feel different than stock, but as long as the bearing doesn't fail, and the PP doesn't either - then I can't see anything wrong with it. Also - if you replaced the clutch AND the TO bearing AND it's carrier, then your probably fine. The little bearing in the flywheel would be the wrong size for the tranny shaft.....

GD

The 5 speed is no better than an early 4 speed with the lower 3rd and 4th. You won't really use 5th on a 5 speed, just as you won't use 4th on a later model 4 speed. But on the 81/82 4 speed, you actually CAN use 4th.... as for identifing marks - I'm not aware of any. Unfortunately, there may not be any. Pulling a trans from an 81 or 82 car that looks original would be your best bet.... you can tell if the trans came from an 81 Brat GL if the 4WD shifter is turned 90 degrees... but your chances of finding an 81 Brat GL with a good tranny is slim to none.....

GD

I may have the answer to that later this week.

I have the DR4spd from my '86 sitting on the floor of the garage.

I will be pulling the EA-82/DR4spd out of the '82 this week. So I will be able to do a side-by-side comparo of the two. As far as I know, the tranny in the '82 is the original one, same with the '86.

Will post back with answer as soon as I have the tranny out.