Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo swap

if i get a complete turbo settup, heads, full SPFI system with harness, rails, verything i need to go form hitachi to SPFI, and then put on the stock turbo system do i have to change the ECM, everything is off a turbo car, but is there any difference between the N/A SPFI system and the turbo SPFI system?

Thanks,

Shean

There is no factory SPFI system.. Turbos are MPFI.. As for changing fom N/A MPFI to Turbo, I think I have read that the ECUs are the same, but with a couple of wires jumpered.

BTW.. I got your PM about the XT struts/springs.. I need to hang onto them for now, but may be able to give them up at a later date.

well the biggest flaw in your plan is this...

EA82T engines were not SPFI they were MPFI (multiport fuel injected)

turbo heads are different than the SPFI heads..

you can however put turbo heads on a SPFI block..

but you'll also need fuel rails, intake manifold, fuel injectors wireing harness and ecu from a turbo car.

theres prolly other things i left out as well.. this swap can be done, but for all the time and money it'll cost you to round up all those parts, you might as well buy a turbo car..

ok then let me clarify,

all these parts are off the same car, a 89, i think he said, GL-10. same car, same parts, it comes with the fuel injection, and i mean everything, he said just bolt on the turbo heads, then everything else and your done.

also is the stock turbo internal or external wastgate, if its external im gonna cut the whole bigger and run a 3.5inch or 3 inch wastegate out to the bottom of the car, and keep my stock exhaust from the trubo heads back, if that will work.

if its internal, then what do i do, do i HAVE to tie it into the stock exhaust, and ifso does anyone have a EA82T Y-pipe i can get?

If its a GL-10 and its not a turbo, 99% chance its SPFI.. I have never seen an MPFI non turbo GL-10.. Have heard of it, but don't believe it to be common. If its SPFI, you will need more than the turbo heads.. you will need the intake manifold and all the wiring, as well as the ECU from a turbo car.. Plus, your CR will be higher than normal, so you may run into timing/detonation problems.

The factory turbo setup uses an external wastegate. Get some pics of the motor in question , or verify which injection system it has and we can help you more clearly.

I have seen the non turbo gl10s with mpfi. almost picked one up when I was last in the market for one.

ok scooby- I fully ageree with meeky moose. it is possible. I was in your same situation before and decided to pick up my current wagon(with EA82T ) and a blown motor. while fixing this one up I still drove my old Roo. after completion I sold the other car and now have a rather clean rebuilt turbo car. the tranys are a little differant on turbos too. they use larger axles. not a big deal but more strenght.

if you could find a wrecked turbo car and get all the necessary bits off it good go for it. if not well I hope you have a lot of time and $ on hand because thats what it will take.

another option is to get a programable fuel system and build your own turbo set up. if emisions allow in your area.

if your really interested in doing this i still have the intake and block and turbo off my other turbo engine. the turbo is in great shape, as is the intake(minus some injectors 2). the block is good but the pistons have some small chips. the cylinder walls are ok though. i will give it to you or anyone else for free. just pay the shipping.

im not too sure but are the turbo blocks different ? somthing about the crank case breater system? and the rings are different as well correct?

I would definately pull the motor to do the swap.

use the turbo motor complete if you can.

if you run the higher compression pistons you will probably want to intercool it at the same time. just food for thought.

wel i got everything tonight, see other post for more info, but i am also getting another EA82 engine that im putting the turbo heads and MPFI system on along with the turbo, lower compression pistons, and rebuild it with a custom camshaft taht is built for upper power band power for the turbo.

also i will later run a WRX turbo and inner cooler.

so if anyone has any tech articles and/or info please e-mail it to me.

Thanks,

Shean