Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Update on Urethane tranny mounts. WOW!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:00 PM

*UPDATE - 2/25/04*
*These mounts failed in testing due to melting from exhaust temperatures. Please go here for the latest on this topic*

Well - I made another set of tranny mounts for my wagon, and installed them this morning - all I can say is WOW! It's like driving a whole different car - no more jerkiness when accelerating / decelerating - just pure smooth power. And also no vibration that I can find - they are working just as you would imagine brand new mounts should work. I would reccomend this mod to EVERYONE with an older soob, as every tranny mount I have seen has been shot. The driveability has improved dramatically.

Link to my old post:
http://www.ultimates...t=tranny mounts

I can make these if people want me to - but you can make some yourself just as easy, and pretty cheap. The tube of urethane is like $14. I'll charge $25 a pair + shipping if you guys want me to do some.... might seem expensive till you price new ones ($55 EACH), and it takes a couple hours of my time for each set - have to pull em from the JY, then clean, prep, and put the urethane in em...

GD

#2 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:10 PM

sweet,

I have a gehetto fix involving a old seat belt in place right now.
I have been tring to work up a method of doing just that.

did you remove the old rubber?

thanx good find tell us how they hold up over time.:burnout:

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:18 PM

I removed the old rubber that was loose - but there isn't a lot of rubber in them to begin with, and what was there, and still well attached I just left, and covered with urethane so it won't deteriorate any more. They should hold up just like any urethane mount or bushing would, and as the racing and off-road communitiy know.... they are nearly indestructible. Once fully cured, they are like a hockey puck - very dense, and hard to even bend by hand.

GD

#4 iluvdrt

iluvdrt

to lift, or not to lift

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • j-ville nc

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:58 PM

some of my honda buddies have done this to their motor mounts. i was considering it.

#5 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 20 February 2004 - 06:08 PM

Yep, that's what I found, too. I posted about doing this on my car last year, and now have 1000's of K's on the mod, still working great. I did mine in place (on the car) and used duct tape to block one end of each mount. Highly recommended. I also made sure the tranny was centered in the mounts and tunnel before injecting the goo, and let everything set while held in place.

#6 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 20 February 2004 - 09:36 PM

Call me obtuse, but I NEVER would have thought of that! And it's a KICK A$$ idea. I can't wait to do all my bad mounts on the new ride;)

#7 old sub freak

old sub freak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • mt vernon,washington

Posted 21 February 2004 - 02:58 AM

good plan. i'v bought new trans mounts from dealer, and thought they seemed "loose" feeling. thanks for the details todd

#8 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

GD, if you can make the EA82 mounts by next weekend, are you going to the NWR rallycross? Bring them along and I can pay you then. Otherwise, send me an address and I can snail mail a check to you and pick them up next time I'm in Portland. My email is edrach@spamcop.net.

#9 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:28 PM

Hey GD, if you have the time could you do me a favor and put together a small how-to together explaining the basic's? This is something that I think needs to be in the USRM.

I noticed lately that my car has been bucking alot more, some of those mounts are exactly what I need :)

-Brian

#10 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:20 PM

I'm interested in a set for my EA82

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:18 PM

*UPDATE - 2/25/04*
*These mounts failed in testing due to melting from exhaust temperatures. Please go here for the latest on this topic*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users