Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smells of melting plastic/rubber?????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ts johnson

ts johnson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Portland, Maine

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:45 PM

When I'm standing by the drivers door I smell the melting plastic. When I open the hood and smell in different areas it's hard to track it's origin. Any ideas of what this might be. There are no symptoms otherwise[ ie temp guage is fine and warning lights aren't on].T Brand new this morning.Out of blue.Thanks

#2 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 20 February 2004 - 07:01 PM

On our car the 75w-90 gear lube from the front differential leaking onto the exhaust generates a similar odor. You might take a look around where the front inner CV joints meet the transmission (diff case).

#3 Chip Hedrick

Chip Hedrick

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • New Gloucester

Posted 20 February 2004 - 07:47 PM

I started getting a similar smell in January of this year when the oil seals in my '98 OBW started to go, and oil got on hot exhaust components. I ended up having the cam and front crank seals replaced. You'll know soon enough if it's the oil seals as oil will start to leak under the car in noticeable quantities.

#4 ts johnson

ts johnson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Portland, Maine

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:58 PM

I feel like it's a melting wire or something. There is a leak in the oil pan seal but that's not new and the inner cv is fine.. Is there a fuse that melts away slowly? It is definately plastic melting but there is no visible clues:rolleyes: It's a very strong smell when standing beside the car but hard to locate inside the engine compartment. Bazaar. Thanks

#5 forester2002s

forester2002s

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:01 AM

Any debris caught under the car? Wedged again the exhaust system perhaps?

#6 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:51 AM

Have you done any axles work lately? Leftover grease on the axle/CV can spray onto the catalyst and the smell will linger for AGES!

#7 Sydfloyd44

Sydfloyd44

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Central PA

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:15 AM

forester2002s said what I was thinking. Last year I crashed my heat shield. Removed it and haven't replaced it yet. End of last summer I was smelling melted plastic and sure enough, looked under the car and a plastic shopping back hit the converter and melted to it. It took at least a month till it burned off and stopped smelling.
Check your entire exhaust for any signs of something sticking to it!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users