Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please point me in the right direction if this is a redundant post but I searched and found similar posts but could find exactly what I was looking for. I found a transmission from a 95 Legacy 2.2 that I am hoping will fit my 93 Impreza 1.8. I am waiting for the person to get back to me about the gear ratios, I know mine is 4.11 final drive and I really don't want to look for another rear diff or do any crazy mods to get it to work. Another concern I have is the speedo, mine is cable but the one on the tranny I want to get looks like its an electrical one. Is it is simple as pulling out the wire connector and putting a cable one in? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Please point me in the right direction if this is a redundant post but I searched and found similar posts but could find exactly what I was looking for. I found a transmission from a 95 Legacy 2.2 that I am hoping will fit my 93 Impreza 1.8. I am waiting for the person to get back to me about the gear ratios, I know mine is 4.11 final drive and I really don't want to look for another rear diff or do any crazy mods to get it to work. Another concern I have is the speedo, mine is cable but the one on the tranny I want to get looks like its an electrical one. Is it is simple as pulling out the wire connector and putting a cable one in? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

i think you are right on both counts but you need to confirm both.

look here, http://opposedforces.com/parts ,for the impreza final drive ratio. select your car, year, engine, model, etc..... when you get to the list, look in the the ''train'' heading for differential, either front or individual, i think.

90 - 94 legacys were a little squirrelly compared to 95 - 99. i don't really know about imprezas. but the above link will tell you true.

i think, MAYBE, you can just swap the part that threads onto the trans, remove them both and compare the hardware and the depth relative to each other. i don't know when impreza went to the 'no cable' set up, legacy went in 95, but it is not like subaru to spend money changing the trans, just the signal sending part. the speedo drive gears inside are probably unchanged.

good luck,

and let us know what you learn and how it turns out.

ps: welcome aboard, glad to have you here.

Awesome thanks. So it looks like the one I want to get is TZ102ZAAAA-C7 and according to opposedforces, the one in my Impreza should be TZ102ZX3AA. Also I found out that it does have the same final drive of 4.11, and the speedo gears appear to be the same.

It's a bit hard to tell some things, only because I don't know all the specifics on the donor car as I do my own so hunting for info is a little tricky but if the above is true, is there anything else I need to worry about matching up or should the TZ102ZAAAA-C7 bolt right up to my 93 Impreza? Thanks again.

100%

if you double checked the final drive ratio, then the speedo cable is the only difference. it will bolt right in and connect to the wiring with out problem. hopefully it will run perfectly for years.

for the most part you could use any legacy trans 95 - 98 as long as it has a 2.2L engine, maybe 99 as well. 2.5L trans cars will not match.

since you have a good trans already you don't need this, but just in case:

www.car-part.com