Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel balance before alignment or vice versa?

Or does it even matter? Wondering if one should be done before the other, and how often you align and balance.

If balancing includes rotating the tires, I think you'd want to do alignment afterwards.

How often do you align your wheels?

How often do you rotate and balance, especially for an AWD vehicle?

Please excuse the inexperience, I'm getting back into maintaining a car and enjoying it after not having to own one for years (before that kept a Volvo 244DL in great shape through college and beyond), and focusing on doing more and more on my own or with a trusted mechanic instead of the dealer. Just replaced the engine air filter and cleaned the air intake, and I'm about to polish and restore the headlight covers and replace the cabin air filter with a DIY cut-to-size from an even better and cheaper 3M filter pad.

This site has been a great inspiration and info source.

Most alignments per se aren't dependant on the tires as much as the wheels themselves. Having said that I would want the setup to be as close to what it will be after the alignment. Rotation balancing and/or new tires install should be done first then the alignment.

I have a deal at a tire center near me that offers, for a price, unlimited alignments and rotation during a specific period of time 1, 2 or 4 years. I usually get it done at least every year after winter, but if I feel I've hit a curb or pothole I'd do it earlier. The printout from the computer after alignment has almost always said I was still in spec with minor tweeks so I guess I am overkilling it a bit. However it would depend on the conditions you are experiencing in your driving area. Off roading would warrant more alignments.

If buying new tires, the standard method is mount balance install align. On tire rotation rotate tires first then alignment, If just balancing most shops will balance first then align. The reason for balancing first is when the tire is spun they can see any wheel runout or tire runout or broken belts. Does not make sense to align first then find out a tire is bad.

nipper

doesn't much matter. nipper makes a good point but i swap wheels all the time and change tire sizes like my socks and never have alignment issues.

tire alignments are rarely needed. based on suggestions from someone that did them for a living i quit getting alignments about 10 years ago and have never needed one. with as often as i'm rotating tires - Subaru 4WD and snows, etc - i would notice if tires start wearing unevenly or steering wheel pull. i've never had those issues. i mostly dislike alignments because they're inconvenient and i can't do it myself, so it works for me and i'll keep doing it until i see abnormal wear.

Having been in the industry for 20+ years I can say alignments are a wonderful tool for trying to sell the customer struts, tie rod ends, ball joints, tires, ect that they may or may not need. It is my opinion that a well maintained car without any worn/faulty front end or suspension parts should rarely need an alignment unless something is changed, damaged, or bent. This is only MY opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Does not matter if you align or balance first. They do not affect each other in any way.

You can do an aligment yourself with a level floor, 2 foot bubble level, string, a ruler and 4 jackstands that will come out just as good as one done on a $20,000 machine. I do them all the time. It's all in the operator, not the equipment.

Does not matter if you align or balance first. They do not affect each other in any way.

You can do an aligment yourself with a level floor, 2 foot bubble level, string, a ruler and 4 jackstands that will come out just as good as one done on a $20,000 machine. I do them all the time. It's all in the operator, not the equipment.

@subaru360

Well Said, couldn't agree more.