Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Off Road Bumpers anyone??? * * * Done Post 28 * * *

newsoobdude

I am good friends with the owners and lead fabricator at WAAG bumpers and have been talking to him about doing some Subie stuff as a side project and he's telling me to see what interest there is so here I am. Who all is interested and what model do you have? Would you rather have a tube instead? Rear bumpers with spare tire mounts? I personally am thinking of an ARB/ SubaXtreme style front for my 1998 Outback and something like the SubaXtreme rear.

Tell me what interests you. If we can get 10+ people together for a group order it would be best.

Also thinking of skid plates and lifts and other goodies so think out loud too.

Edited by newsoobdude

I'm in. Price dependent of course.

Be sure that at least two light mount tabs are included. But they're inconspicous enough that if they're not used it won't look stupid.

I would probably prefer an unpainted one so I could add or modify things before it is painted. Then I'd paint it with bedliner.

That should lower the initial cost as well.

I'll be getting on this more next week and start doing some cardboard mock-ups. As for price, the more people interested in this the better, and tube or ARB/ SubaXtreme style. Will find out next week, but guess anywhere from $400 tube to $600 ARB/ SubaXteme powder coated and possibly shipped, just depends on mock up work and fab time.

I may be interested later in september depending on what you guys come up with I have a 99 legacy... I've been thinking alot about making a bumper/push bar for it this fall but I doubt I'll have time to personally fab anything for it. Don't need anything too crazy, the car sits low, really just looking for some extra protection driving around in the snow during the winter that will still look respectable on a mostly street rig. As far as a skid plate I'm badly wanting something burly.

I've been thinking of lifting my Impreza, and if I do i'd want something in terms of a skid plate that rolls up into the front bumper with some kind of shaved bumper skin over it, something to improve the approach angle dramatically and protect the radiator.

But i'm not going to lift it until a) my tires wear out, and B) I'm done with my FF-1 project :P

But in any case, here are some ideas:

house_DR_meet_DR_4x4_111.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

PICT0623.jpg

3869333363_6f73be75df_b.jpg

pICSQ178-1.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

2004_0110LFTDRU0007.jpg

Edited by Kostamojen

Hey I live in wilsonville and see you every now and then I lost my job. and working subies for a side hobby hit me up I can weld you tabs and make you bumpers let me know mike

I am very interested in both a bumper and skidplate for my 95 legacy. I need light tabs that will fit my Hella FF1000s. I would like to get an idea of what it would look like.

Kostamojen-

Love the Dirt Wagon and have been following it's build. As for it's bumpers, a little more than what I'd like, granted his are for better wheeling angles and all, but a little "naked" if you ask me. As for Mudrat's I'm not a tube fan but definitely a nice bumper I'd just prefer a solid one.

Scrap487-

Those skid plate/ light bars should not be hard to work out, what kind of car are you thinking?

Also, talked to my friend yesterday and he said that the prices were high, especially after getting a better look at what I'd like. Will let ya'll know more when I do, but unfortunately his fabricator is out sick for the week so :mad:.

Edited by newsoobdude

Hey I live in wilsonville and see you every now and then I lost my job. and working subies for a side hobby hit me up I can weld you tabs and make you bumpers let me know mike

Cool. Are you planning to go to WCSS12? If so it would be great to talk about this with you.

That or this http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2662/3869333363_6f73be75df_b.jpg is exactly what I'm looking for

That exact one won't do much good. i thought it would be much beafier in person and when I met up with garrett at a rallyx and looked at it, it is just a tube with a little metal under it, not super sturdy either. Looks sweet and if it was like an integrated skid-plate/bar i would totally want one. might have to start designing something like that... :D

I talked to my friend today about this and have decided on using 2x8 tubing (don't recall thickness but good) with 3/16 "wings" for the bumper sides. We are starting with the rear first as it will be the quickest and easiest for them to do while they are waiting on materials for other projects. We are going to tuck it in as close to the body as possible without cutting any sheetmetal. It will be contoured to fit the body and the factory trailer hitch and muffler tip will be sticking out further than the bumper (fair warning). Will also be incorporasting a skid plate to cover the gas tank and will be compatable with a lift as well. No rear tire mount though. Will definitely post pics when I have the fundage for the materials and labor and have results (hoping two weeks). Anyone interested in one? Pricing is looking at $450 shipped and coated with a first time group order of 5 or more at $400 each. Post here to let me know if interested.

Edited by newsoobdude

I talked to my friend today about this and have decided on using 2x8 tubing (don't recall thickness but good) with 3/16 "wings" for the bumper sides.

Two questions:

When you say 2x8 tubing, are you referring to rectangle tubing?

Is the SP going to be stainless?

I am still interested. The price looks right. I would like to get a better idea of what it would look like though. The description sounds a bit heavy. Also if there is a skid plate, it would need to have the appropriate clearance for my 3" lift.

-

John

Two questions:

When you say 2x8 tubing, are you referring to rectangle tubing?

Is the SP going to be stainless?

I am still interested. The price looks right. I would like to get a better idea of what it would look like though. The description sounds a bit heavy. Also if there is a skid plate, it would need to have the appropriate clearance for my 3" lift.

-

John

2X8 rectangular tubing yes. SP means skid plate yes? As for stainless, no. Weight is going to be an issue but I'm going to try and keep this as light as possible. Gas tank skid is going to take some work to work with and without a lift as the only mount we can find for the front of the skid is the diff which gets moved so.... it might just be a "bash plate" to protect the gas tank from scrapping. Got things to take care of this weekend and will be getting back on this next week and hopefully will have some mock up pics available.

the pic of the baja has my old bumper...!! so I'm in need of another one..for my outback. I like the ARB style..too. Must have a winch mount, light tabs, pulling points ,shackle holes..

Try www.subaruoutback.org these folks are dying for bumpers...

I posted there but have had better response over here. Will do my best to get all the options above done as I would like the same as well on mine.

Waiting to get the light tabs and skid plate tabs mounted so I can powder coat and call done. Weighs no more than 50lbs over stock bumper assembly and is stout as snot. OEM front tow hooks are incorporated into mount as lower radiator support brace protector and skid plate mount. Pics tomorrow if all goes well and friend is able to transfer them.