Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st gen legacy wagon suspension upgrades. Where to start?

Ok cool thanks. I'm looking to make it a little more durable offroad. I'm a hunter and use this car to get in and out of the woods. Maybe lift it a bit and beef up the tires? This is my first Subaru so I'm not too firmiliar with these cars but I'm learning! Thanks for your reply!

Then you want to use struts from a 96-99 legacy outback wagon. Putting those in will gain you 2-3" of suspension lift and give you the clearance between the rear tire and spring seat to run bigger tires.

Also swap in the body bracket for the rear trailing arms on both sides from an outback, they will help center the rear wheels in the wheel well with the lift because they're longer. One note on a first gen legacy is that the unthreaded portion of the outback struts is too long for the thickness of the rear strut caps. You need to grind down a washer or two to put in the strut cap before putting the nut on or it will be loose.

If you use the complete assembled struts and springs and cap out of an outback you may need to drill 2 new holes each side for the strut cap to bolt through to the body. I know you do on impreza's, not sure on the 1st gen legacys.

205/75r15's fit fine with no rubbing at that point

With the tires and the outback struts you're looking at more ground clearance than a stock outback, and plenty to do lots of light-moderate offroading.

Put a skidplate on for the oil pan, it's easy to beat the crap out of the oil pan if you don't. There's captured nuts in the lower radiator support and the engine crossmember brace for this purpose.