Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Springs....?

88Subi4x4

I'm guessing you have an EA82? I highly recommend King Springs for getting rid of the sag from the original old springs. The Kings are a bit stiffer and will help with loads in the back. Primitive Racing in Tigard, OR sells them see HERE and the King website. They make front and rears for just about any Subaru. I just got a set from Primitive for my lifted '92 Loyale wagon and they are great!

X5KvOLD_small.jpg

I would like my back to sit up this tall this picture is taken with the back end on a jack..... and no motor in the car...... it still sags a good 4 inches when i take it off the jack I know that is my Susp. travel but since the subi's dont flex much anyways i want the body clearance

mms_picture14.jpg[/img]

the springs themselves might be stiffer but shortening them will remove some preload.which will make them less stiff.I know on my 87 wagon when I cut a coil off the accord springs I had it rode nice.a bit firm but not to bad.

Not tryin to be a d**k but, WRONG! Cutting them WILL make them ride stiffer! Yes it will remove some of the preload which will affect ride height, but by cutting them you are also taking away some of the actual springing cababilities... It will not make the spring softer, the spring rate IS the spring rate, no matter how you look at it. By cutting you will only change the length, the rate will stay the same. The ONLY way cutting a spring could possibly potentially be concieved to affect the rate is..... If you started with a PROGRESSIVE rate spring and cut either the "softer" end off, or, cut the "stiffer" end off. And then still, you are not changing the spring rate, only the the part of the spring that is effectively being used on the car! even the piece that was just hypothetically cut off and is hypothetically laying on the shop floor still holds its same spring rate or "value"...... It's physics...........

:horse:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Not tryin to be a d**k but, WRONG! Cutting them WILL make them ride stiffer! Yes it will remove some of the preload which will affect ride height, but by cutting them you are also taking away some of the actual springing cababilities... It will not make the spring softer, the spring rate IS the spring rate, no matter how you look at it. By cutting you will only change the length, the rate will stay the same. The ONLY way cutting a spring could possibly potentially be concieved to affect the rate is..... If you started with a PROGRESSIVE rate spring and cut either the "softer" end off, or, cut the "stiffer" end off. And then still, you are not changing the spring rate, only the the part of the spring that is effectively being used on the car! even the piece that was just hypothetically cut off and is hypothetically laying on the shop floor still holds its same spring rate or "value"...... It's physics...........

Almost right. It will neither stiffen nor soften the spring. Like you said, the spring rate is the spring rate. One thing though, if you use a torch to cut the springs, they will soften. The heat will relax the lattice in the metal and lower its rate.

• 4 years later...

I added ea82 4wd rear springs to my ea81 to get rig of some sag issues, I could almost flip that thing as it took away any decent handling of the car. It was real easy to get it up on two wheels.  It kinda sucked off road too, it made the front account for all the travel, so it was limiting.  On a wet day after a couple of dry weeks, when the roads are slick, that thing would break free and fish in 2wd and was something to watch out for. The only time it really did me good was when I was coming down from the pass after picking up a full size cast iron wood stove to deliver to my dad. Then it rode like a Lincoln....lol.

I added ea82 4wd rear springs to my ea81 to get rig of some sag issues, I could almost flip that thing as it took away any decent handling of the car. It was real easy to get it up on two wheels.  It kinda sucked off road too, it made the front account for all the travel, so it was limiting.  On a wet day after a couple of dry weeks, when the roads are slick, that thing would break free and fish in 2wd and was something to watch out for. The only time it really did me good was when I was coming down from the pass after picking up a full size cast iron wood stove to deliver to my dad. Then it rode like a Lincoln....lol.

I would imagine it would be that stiff with torsion bars AND coil springs,The saqqing issue could be fixed by removing the torsion bars and then installing the EA82 coilovers.Then you can adjust spring rate to suit your needs.

• Like 1

I put new ones on the back of my 87 Coupe.  When I set it down off the lift, the springs didn't compress at ALL!  Spring rate may stay the same, but preload has a heavy effect on ride.  The weight of the car wasn't enough to compress them, they were held in place by the strut.  Mine were variable rate, but I had to cut the softer part, to get them to sit right.  With the full spring, jumping up and down on the bumper didn't do a thing.  One coil off made it were the car's weight would compress the springs when I put it down off the lift, but it rode like and old Jeep J20 with no load.  Another half a coil, and it rode more like a performance car.

I think you are assuming the weight is the preload; in this case, it's is the strut's length that gives it the preload.  It won't effect ride height if the strut is maxed out, but it will change the stiffness.

Edit:  You are right in that if you make the spring shorter than the struts full length, it won't change stiffness, but until that point, it will make a difference.

Edited by Dj7291993

Holy thread revival!  Wow i sound like a douche lol… That was a while ago.. I actually ended up using a set of those accord springs, and ALSO cut one coil off. And, I was completely satisfied with the results. Mind you, my lifted car was significantly heavier than stock form. It had a subframe, heavy roof basket, 29" spare tire, super beefy bumpers etc. 

Regardless, yes, late 80's accord front springs with 1 coil cut off….

Spencer