Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82T swaps?

Hey guys!

I recently bought a 1987 Subaru XT Turbo to be my new rally platform and i'm having a hell of a time find parts for it. (Go figure:rolleyes:)

This is a big budget project, but I would like to be able to find a new shell relatively cheap if a tree decided to use my car as a blanket. So I went with the XT. What i'm looking for is a new (Preferably crate) engine and driveline to throw in over the winter but i'm new to the Subaru scene and was wondering if you guys could help with compatability issues.

I was directed here by someone claiming a DR. Rx has done a fairly high power swap into his XT but my searching turned up no results. So links to this would be extremely helpful in cutting down my workload.

Dr. RX did a swap into an RX :rolleyes: not an XT. Though swaps into XT's have been done.

What you *don't* want is anything that's under the hood now. The EA82T's are junk and are a dead platform.

With an adaptor plate or changing the transmission you can install any of a number of EJ series engines. The USDM or JDM EJ20 WRX engine being probably the logical choice since you have a turbo platform. It's not a small job - you need a whole engine and wireing harness plus custom exhaust, etc. And if you want the car to be able to handle the power you will want an XT6 5-lug conversion, WRX brakes, and the WRX transmission as well - the tranny you have now won't handle that kind of power nor is it setup for the EJ turbo clutch system.

Basically you have a body. Everything else will have to be changed. And XT's aren't that common - if you want a common vehicle for a big budget build I'm very surprised you didn't opt for an Impreza coupe. That is the logical choice with everything being basically bolt-on, etc.

GD

Dr. RX did a swap into an RX :rolleyes: not an XT. Though swaps into XT's have been done.

What you *don't* want is anything that's under the hood now. The EA82T's are junk and are a dead platform.

With an adaptor plate or changing the transmission you can install any of a number of EJ series engines. The USDM or JDM EJ20 WRX engine being probably the logical choice since you have a turbo platform. It's not a small job - you need a whole engine and wireing harness plus custom exhaust, etc. And if you want the car to be able to handle the power you will want an XT6 5-lug conversion, WRX brakes, and the WRX transmission as well - the tranny you have now won't handle that kind of power nor is it setup for the EJ turbo clutch system.

Basically you have a body. Everything else will have to be changed. And XT's aren't that common - if you want a common vehicle for a big budget build I'm very surprised you didn't opt for an Impreza coupe. That is the logical choice with everything being basically bolt-on, etc.

GD

i am about to make you buy a new ea82t just to shut you up.cheers, brian

GD

I am thinking fo completely scrapping the xt, and going for something a little more common. Seen an amazing deal for an ideal car, bought it that day, didn't think ect ect. You know how it goes.

But, in order for me to do that I have to deem the xt not worth my time. Parts are parts are parts, if I write off the xt I should still be able to salvage some of it and transplant. It's one of the things i'm considering when looking at power plants and whatnot.

Heres some usefull info on engine swaps for a XT.

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8493&hilit=+ej20+swap

Lots more info there, just do a search.

Bingo. Thanks man.

i am about to make you buy a new ea82t just to shut you up.cheers, brian

Either way, 160xxx km does not equal a race worthy engine. Especially the sound it makes when it turns over. *shudder*

Sure I could rebuild it, polish it up, slap it's rump roast and call it sally but I could also get alot better platform for my needs than the ea82t.

Either way, 160xxx km does not equal a race worthy engine. Especially the sound it makes when it turns over. *shudder*

Sure I could rebuild it, polish it up, slap it's rump roast and call it sally but I could also get alot better platform for my needs than the ea82t.

I believe monstaru was referring to GD and his hate for ea82t's not you (I could be wrong), that's all :D

The turbo's are getting harder and harder to find stuff for, so if it's a big money build, I would probably dump the xt as well. The impreza's are just built for that kinda of thing.

Turbone stuck with the ea82t for a while, but eventually swapped in an EJ22T. They are just a limited engine when it comes to mods. If you wanted to drive it everyday, then I wouldn't be telling you do dump it, but since you are looking to build a rally car and don't have a soft spot for the xt, there is no reason to really stick with it.

Don't get me wrong, I like my turbo and older subies, but they are not a performance platform, that's for sure!