Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do stock stereo systems come with amplifier? Have stereo issue.

My Right front and right rear speakers are a bit off - there is a little bit of sound coming out, but not much. I swapped out the head unit today and experience the same issue.

Is there a stock amp somewhere that could be messed up? I mean, with the head unit swapped and the same issue, it's gotta be the speakers or something I can't see. But it's rare that both right speakers would be out (as opposed to both fronts or both rears).

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by yesyeah

As a rule, the only Subaru's with factory amps will be those with the MacIntosh audio system and those with the factory subwoofer.

Well if there is no amp and the Head unit has been swapped with the same issue, any ideas what could be up? Is the speaker wire from the harness going directly to the speaker? Not going through anything else?

The only other thing I can think of is a block connector in the passenger's kick panel. There are a number of things that go through that connector, but its the ONLY place I can think of where both speakers on the same side come together electrically. Obviously, you'll want to make sure that the harness is installed properly.

The issue just happened randomly one day - so the harness should be fine as we hadn't had an issue with it since we have owned the car.

When you say "block connector" are you referring to the wiring harness?

I guess I can buy a pair of speakers and put em in and see if it's fixed.

Btw, the tweeters high up on the doors, what size are those and are they easy to replace?

The issue just happened randomly one day - so the harness should be fine as we hadn't had an issue with it since we have owned the car.

When you say "block connector" are you referring to the wiring harness?

I guess I can buy a pair of speakers and put em in and see if it's fixed.

Btw, the tweeters high up on the doors, what size are those and are they easy to replace?

do this:

With a DMM (digital Multi-meter), pick a favorite song, and meter the speaker wires at the deck. then, meter at the door. Now, i know that its going to be speratic since a song changes tones, voltage etc.. but from the sound of it, it would be a drastic voltage difference.

What they mean by "block connector" is usually, there is a "big a$5 plug" that goes between the door and the wire boot (that thing in the door jam). They use them so that removing the door is made easier. double check to make sure it is secure and that wires going to/from it are not wobbly. you might try unplugging and re plugging it in.

the tweaters are more than likley 1" and probably are removable by a Flathead screwdriver. be carefull though. they unusually are held in by thin plastic clips.

To me, it sounds like both speakers are blown. but to double check.. look at the wiring at the speaker, inspect the speaker itself too. one thing you can do to rule out the wire harness (or the wire going to the door) is by taking some speaker wire to the speaker itself and try it on the deck directly. this will tell you for sure if the speaker is dead, or if the deck just happens to be bad. (you can also test the speaker on a home theater.. or stereo. wire it in and see if it makes noise)

-Justin

Thanks for the clarification. Because there is this very strange LOUD strange high pitched squeal that happened after I increased the volume on the aux/ipod - I am thinking it's more than speakers, but I will check that all out.

Thanks again.

Btw, do I need to take off the interior side of the door to replace the speaker?

My guess would be a pinched wire. Likely in the trunk area. The wires for the rear speakers are somewhat exposed in the trunk, and the harness where they come from sits right against the chassis bracing that runs behind the rear seats. It's a good place for something heavy to hit them and chaff or cut the insulation then they can short against the chassis or against each other.

That's a very good idea, though this is a wagon, so the rear speakers are still in the doors. Which is why I am not sure what the hell changed all of a sudden. Really, my wife said it was after she got gas, and things were just crazy after that. Not sure what would have caused that. Definitely NOT the head unit. I don't mind replacing speakers, but seems odd they would have blown. Wire short seems plausable, but not sure even where to start with that.

I guess it IS possible there was a blown "right" side and speakers are going haywire, but I really figured this would have been a head unit or amp issue. With no amp in the stock system for the aftermarket head unit to go through, I am lost.