Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator Rebuild

A couple times I've noticed my charge and brake lights start flickering on. Haven't completely come on yet, but they're flickering. I know with Toyotas, you can just replace the brushes and a couple other things, for cheap, and you've essentially "rebuilt" the alternator. A guy has the part numbers up for it since apparently it's about impossible to get parts guys to give you the right parts unless you know exactly what you need.

So my question...does someone have something like this for Subarus? A parts list for rebuilding the alternator? The pully/bearing seems fine, it's just not doing it's job right, so what would I need to replace?

Here's the Toyota example http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/alternator_brushes/

With the Subaru alternators, those components are more expensive than a rebuilt alt - at least through all the sources I've checked. Mainly the regulator is the problem as the price they want for it is usually half the cost of the alt or more.

Get yourself a Nissan Maxima alt - more power (90A) and they seem to be more reliable as well - probably because most of us are using them on mostly stock vehicles so for a 90A alt to only have to push about 40 or 50 amps it's a walk in the park and they just last a long time that way.

I build used one's (tested of course) with the Subaru pulley of your choice for $100 plus shipping. They bolt straight in with only very minor wireing (add extra wire to the battery for safety, and pull your spade terminals out of the plastic connector). You can do it yourself but a lot of people prefer to have me make the neccesary spacer for the pulley since I do it on a lathe and it's easier for me.

GD