Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Part Compatibility 82,84,86 GLW 4WD

I am spending hours searching this board and online parts store sites to determine what parts are interchangable.

I have an 82 GL Wagon 4WD that runs (albeit roughly) but is a serious rust bucket. No apparent drive train problems and the EA81 just needs a serious tune up. CW carb, 4MT

I also have an 84 GL Wagon 4WD that runs (a couple quirks I am still working out) which is in good shape all the way around. EA81, Hitachi carb, 4MT

I am going to look at an 86 GL Wagon I believe is an EA82T, 5 speed MT and was told that the front drive (axel(s)??) is/are messed up. Not sure what all is wrong but engine is supposedly good and body is in fairly good shape.

All three have less than 170K and I am trying to decide if I should pick up the 86 for parts/fixer and if any of the 82 parts will work with the 86? Is there a definitive information source that I can access that would tell me what parts are interchangeable between all years and models of Subaru (both body and mechanical) instead of wasting your time asking these (stupid) questions here on the board? I've learned alot from reading messages on this board and you guys are great!

This is the definitive place.. If you want a spreadsheet with parts and years and such.. well... A factory parts book may help.. but its not exactly a quick reference..pretty much nothing from the 86 will fit (directly)on the 82 or 84. However, anything will fit if you want it bad enough, and have the tools and skills to alter it accordingly:D

Interchangeability is pretty much based on body style.. there are a few minor exceptions(aren't there always a few)

However, if the only thing wrong with the 86 is a couple of crapped out axles, and its cheap, I would get it anyway.. But thats just me.. I like EA82 Turbo cars..

Interchangability is zero for bady panels and interior. Bolt-on wise. You can modify seats and the trans to fit the '82. A few people have installed the motors back and forth. The '86 motor into the '82 requires alot of wiring issues. A couple of people have even installed the EA81 engine into the EA82 car. I'm sure this doesn't clear up alot of things but it may help get you an idea.